Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1100e engine noise

Hi all
    I missed a shift while on a mountain road chasing a friend. The bike is a 1983 GS1100e. There is a rattling noise at idle, down low, that goes away with a little RPM. I rode it home. I've adjusted the cam chain and can't get rid of the noise. Does anyone have any idea what I might have broken? I have a spare engine but it's a mo-fo to change.
    Thanks for any and all help
    Rich
    Last edited by Guest; 05-11-2014, 10:01 PM.

Originally posted by rwnielsen View Post
    Hi all
    I missed a shift while on a mountain road chasing a friend. The bike is a 1983 GS1100e. There is a rattling noise at idle, down low, that goes away with a little RPM. I rode it home. I've adjusted the cam chain and can't get rid of the noise. Does anyone have any idea what I might have broken? I have a spare engine but it's a mo-fo to change.
    Thanks for any and all help
    Rich
    Sounds like a deep knocking then disappears with revs? clutch nut is loose.

Get a Gorilla Nut from APE. $29.

Comment

Another possibility is the clutch basket itself is failing. Wormgear Terry talks about this all the time.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

starter clutch bolts.....

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          Another possibility is the clutch basket itself is failing. Wormgear Terry talks about this all the time.
          hey!
          i resemble that!

Comment

A missed shift precipitated the onset of the noise according to the OP. Not likely a wear out problem. Could be starter, but i would pull the clutch cover first.

Comment

You guys are awsome. I'll pull the cover and check the clutch and while I'm in there, check the starter. The way I see it.....these engines are built to take a few missed shifts (although I did wring it out). It's stock with a 4:1 exhaust and a set of flatslides off of a '86 GSX1100R.
              Thanks for your help and ideas
              Rich

P.S. I googled "Gorilla Nut from APE" and you can imagine what came up. Anyone with a link?

Found it: http://www.aperaceparts.com/
              Last edited by Guest; 05-11-2014, 10:04 PM.

Comment

You guys are awsome. I'll pull the cover and check the clutch and while I'm in there, check the starter. The way I see it.....these engines are built to take a few missed shifts (although I did wring it out). It's stock with a 4:1 exhaust and a set of flatslides off of a '86 GSX1100R.
                Thanks for your help and ideas
                Rich

P.S. I googled "Gorilla Nut from APE" and you can imagine what came up. Anyone with a link?

Found it: http://www.aperaceparts.com/
                look for this

SUZUKI HEAVY DUTY CLUTCH HUB NUT -
                CLUTCH HUB NUT
                The factory Suzuki hub nuts are soft, allowing the threads to deform and come loose. This allows the hub assembly to wobble. The APE nuts are CNC machined from heat treated chrome moly steel. End of problem.

SHN1150 Suzuki GS1100 / GS1150 $29.95

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                  look for this
                  I'll pull it apart after work tomorrow.
                  Thanks for all the help.
                  Rich

Comment

I'll pull it apart after work tomorrow.
                    Thanks for all the help.
                    Rich
                    When I first got my GS1100ED, it was stock with about 48K mikes. It had a low end knock at idle although it disappeared at any kind of RPM. Not knowing anything about these things I almost walked away from it. In the end it was just a loose clutch nut.

I did get a little negotiation mileage out of it through at working the price down.

Comment

SC bolts backed out and/or sheared also makes a knocking sound throughout the engine.
                      been there...ect...
                      pull stator cover and see if you can move the SC housing to and fro....even a little bit..
                      sounds goes away when you bring the RPM's up just a little...

Comment

Missed a shift on my 82 1100e, had the exact same symptoms you do. I had shears my starter clutch bolts. There windows in the starter gear itself, that the bolt heads will bounce into and out of. Check the clutch hub but first though, pulling that stator off was a major pain.

Comment

Originally posted by Turtleface View Post
                          Missed a shift on my 82 1100e, had the exact same symptoms you do. I had shears my starter clutch bolts. There windows in the starter gear itself, that the bolt heads will bounce into and out of. Check the clutch hub but first though, pulling that stator off was a major pain.
                          OK maybe starter clutch it is, but harder to do and nothing wrong with the HD clutch nut.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                            OK maybe starter clutch it is, but harder to do and nothing wrong with the HD clutch nut.
                            40 bucks well spent but....
                            if the man is running a stock basket...he has more worries in front of him.
                            high RPM missed shifts isn't like "driven miss daisy".

Comment

Hi again
                              Just to be clear....#12 in this view? There's a flat, locking, fold up , washer behind it?

I'll check the starter bolts as well. I have lots of tools and a morbid curiosity

Comment

Working...
                              X