No announcement yet.

1100e engine noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm attempting to pop off this cover. I tried using the clutch lever and some judicious tapping with a dead blow......secrets?

*never mind*.....got it!
    Last edited by Guest; 05-24-2014, 10:37 PM.

Comment

You guys is scaring me. I recently missed a few high-rpm first to second shifts. I'm going to have to start paying more attention.
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Its the clutch nut. In looking at the manual and knowing a little about how things work, I would have said that nut couldn't loosen up. I'll take it off, clean it and re-flatten the washer. I have the torque spec.
        Thanks again for all your help
        Rich

PS. I'll get the $30 nut from A.P.E.

Comment

Originally posted by rwnielsen View Post
          Its the clutch nut. In looking at the manual and knowing a little about how things work, I would have said that nut couldn't loosen up. I'll take it off, clean it and re-flatten the washer. I have the torque spec.
          Thanks again for all your help
          Rich

PS. I'll get the $30 nut from A.P.E.
          The material in the threads is soft and when it squishes the hub is now loose without turning.

How are those BST36's

You should also order a mechanical chain adjuster from APE as well.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
            The material in the threads is soft and when it squishes the hub is now loose without turning.

How are those BST36's

You should also order a mechanical chain adjuster from APE as well.
            I saw the chain adjuster, seems foolproof. The BST36's, if you mean carbs, changed the bike completely. Instant throttle response and it seems more peppy all through the range. All I've done is increase the mid-range jets 2 sizes to get rid of some surging and sync them. EBay, '86 GSXR 1100

Comment

Found a gasket too. Must be a lucky day

Comment

Originally posted by rwnielsen View Post

Found a gasket too. Must be a lucky day
                Hmm, don't know much about the Cometic gaskets, though when I used a non OEM clutch cover gasket it would leak. I replaced it with a OEM gasket and no more leak.
                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Come tic make fine gaskets.

Comment

I went ahead and ordered the tensioner and gasket along with the clutch nut. I did happen to notice a spark jumping from one of the ignition wires when I went to fire it up this evening. I'll get new wires tomorrow along with some oil to replace what I spilled when I torqued the clutch nut. Actually I'll just change it, I have a new filter. The bike has been ignored for 11 years so it's going to need a little TLC to get back on the road.
                    Again.....Thanks for all the help and feedback
                    Rich

Comment

If you have stock coils good luck changing the wires.
                      I have some good coils on eBay
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

It would seem the resistance in the plugs exceeds the resistance in the coil wire insulation. I think I'll start with fresh plugs and go from there. APE sells Dyna setups for $140. I have a spare set of stockers but thanks for the offer.
                        Rich

Comment

latest update
                          I got it all put back together and went for a ride to the gas station. I wound up riding about 30 miles at various RPM's. There's still a small rattle at low RPM. It happens if I take off slowly (lugging) from a stop and I can hear it on engine overrun, I.E. when downshifting and the RPM gets below 3k. The engine idles well and runs strong although I didn't push it all. I have a mechanical cam chain tensioner coming from APE. This rattle goes away completely above 2500 RPM.

Comment

Working...
                          X