'78 GS750 no second gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'78 GS750 no second gear

There is a '78 GS750 on CL that runs but ad says it has no second gear. I'm not experienced with transmission problems so I am wondering how difficult a fix is that? Would it be worth it for $300 (no title)?

Basically you need to remove the engine and split the cases to get to the transmission. OEM gears are not cheap but you may be able to find a used transmission on ebay. Figure a full gasket set, possible new rings for pistons, valve seals..etc. Its both expensive and time consuming proposition. Personally I would pass on the bike or use it for parts if you are rebuilding another one. I would imagine you could get one with a title for less than what you would spend to repair that one.

Comment

I'd pass

That 750 is really rugged, so if 2nd gear is gone, that's just the 1st thing you'll find wrong with it

Better to spend the money up front and buy a good running bike than spending $2k and a year to have a $1,500 bike
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I agree with Big T. In my experience, it's better to buy the best condition bike you can afford and do minimal repairs, than to buy one cheaply that needs a ton of work. Unless you just like to spend money and wrench, which some people do.
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

If you decide to try it I have a 750 with a bad top end. Selling parts, the transmission is good.

Splitting the cases is not that hard. $300 is about right for one with no title in good shape, offer him $100 for this one. Ypu can always part it out and pay for a better bike.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

no title? no brainer..offer 50 bucks only if you need a learning experience.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I think you all are right. I'll pass. I paid $500 for my GS1100 running (new tires) and with title. This one would be better off as a parts bike.

Comment

Wow 500 for a running gs1100 with rubber. nICE deal!

Comment

Working...
                X