83 gs650 gl loud ticking/clicking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 gs650 gl loud ticking/clicking

Ok rode into wotk this morning and half way in I noticed a tic tic tic tic very quietly . Sounded like it was coming from the right side of engine when sitting on bike . Well coming home the tic tic tic . Became louder more of a TACK TACK TACK TACK TACK , Just got home and engine is way hotter then normal im certain the noise is coming from right side down low .. not top end !!
    Any suggestions on what this could be ? Where do I even begin ?

Stupid question, but how's your oil level? The only time I've ever had a GS engine start tic tic ing, I was low on oil.

Hopefully yours is that simple

Comment

Originally posted by A-train View Post
      Stupid question, but how's your oil level? The only time I've ever had a GS engine start tic tic ing, I was low on oil.

Hopefully yours is that simple
      Right at full on the window !

Comment

Hey, did you get the right springs yet for the advance mechanism? right side tick, tick plus hot engine -maybe spring let go and timing is too advanced
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
          Hey, did you get the right springs yet for the advance mechanism? right side tick, tick plus hot engine -maybe spring let go and timing is too advanced
          No Tom still havent found two new springs !! That is the first thing I thought ... but im out front with that cover off with the bike running on the center standand 2x4 listening with screwdriver ... letting the bike cool now

Comment

Both springs still in tact !! And the noice doesnt appear to come from there ...

Comment

Other than low oil, I can't think of what might cause engine to run hot. And the tick tick becoming Tact Tact- hmm, put your hand on camchain tensioner knob when bike is idling.
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Other than low oil, I can't think of what might cause engine to run hot. And the tick tick becoming Tact Tact- hmm, put your hand on camchain tensioner knob when bike is idling.
                Ill give that a shot .. but it sounds like its coming from the front right side ..and no its not the tach cable . Checked that already

Comment

Cah chain tensioner springs , like it should when I touch the knob .. seams like the bikes starving for air too and running rough .. crazy cuzz it has been running good !!

Comment

Could it be something to do with the clutch? Can you remove the oil fill plug with the engine running and see if you can hear anything?

Comment

Originally posted by jbthomp View Post
                      Could it be something to do with the clutch? Can you remove the oil fill plug with the engine running and see if you can hear anything?
                      Ill give that a try ..

Comment

Ok using a screw driver to listen .I clearly hear the sound coming from the top end , right side .. best way I can descibe the sound ..
                        Putting I baby shoe in the dryer . I dunno clunk clunk clunk pause clunk clunk clunk pause clunk clunk clunk

Comment

Originally posted by lrgguy View Post
                          Putting I baby shoe in the dryer
                          Lol the first time I read that I thought it said 'putting a baby in the dryer'. How would you know that LOL

Is the noise always the same or does it get louder when you rev it up? You may have something coming apart in there? I think I would do a compression test and see what you are working with first. If that one cylinder is low you may have a big problem. You may pull the valve cover off and see what the cams look like and check the valve clearances. If it got too hot it may have smoked a cam. Valve train noises are usually a ticking noise like that. Kind of sound like tiny tap dancers in there.

Comment

Originally posted by jbthomp View Post
                            Lol the first time I read that I thought it said 'putting a baby in the dryer'. How would you know that LOL

Is the noise always the same or does it get louder when you rev it up? You may have something coming apart in there? I think I would do a compression test and see what you are working with first. If that one cylinder is low you may have a big problem. You may pull the valve cover off and see what the cams look like and check the valve clearances. If it got too hot it may have smoked a cam. Valve train noises are usually a ticking noise like that. Kind of sound like tiny tap dancers in there.
                            Valve cover was off two weeks ago . Didnt see any scoring on cam lobes and it was quite clean ... all valves were with in spec actualyhad to replace one shim and switch 2 around .. bike has been running realy good ...
                            Think I need to put a stick of tnt under the bike and lite it !!
                            2 new tires . New R/R , 4 brand new rubber exhaust boots and o rings new tach cable new throttle cable . New plugs and caps , basikly $1000 bucks in the last 2months ....

Comment

similar-ish sounding symptoms on my 82 650gl. its in bad shape right now the ticking started while I was on the highway and turned into full blown smacking as I pulled of on the exit. Luckily i was close to an exit and it happened to be the one I needed. I ended up losing power and stalling out and it is currently locked up ( to a degree.. it has a few cm's of movement in either direction). I removed the head and cylinders to see what was going on. I'm diagnosing it further tomorrow with Steve but from what I ( a noob) can tell, is that one of the piston rods is not behaving correctly. Right now it seems like #1 connecting rod is not rotating on the crank. I don't know if this anecdote will help you but if it sounds likes its getting worse / louder or you lose power at all I would pull over asap.

Comment

Working...
                              X