83 gs650 gl loud ticking/clicking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by orourkei View Post
    similar-ish sounding symptoms on my 82 650gl. its in bad shape right now the ticking started while I was on the highway and turned into full blown smacking as I pulled of on the exit. Luckily i was close to an exit and it happened to be the one I needed. I ended up losing power and stalling out and it is currently locked up ( to a degree.. it has a few cm's of movement in either direction). I removed the head and cylinders to see what was going on. I'm diagnosing it further tomorrow with Steve but from what I ( a noob) can tell, is that one of the piston rods is not behaving correctly. Right now it seems like #1 connecting rod is not rotating on the crank. I don't know if this anecdote will help you but if it sounds likes its getting worse / louder or you lose power at all I would pull over asap.
    Yeah that doesnt sound to good!!! I dont plan on riding it untill i figure out whats going on ....
    Actualy may just push it to the side andgowith out abike for a couple weeks and concentrate on getting my 78 gs1000 on the road ..
    Very frustrated with this bike at the moment

Comment

Pull cam cover off- maybe a bucket lost its shim, ; also check chain tensioner slop. hold off on dynamite

orourkei; that seems really odd, please update us on what you find out
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Guess what, my 650gl has a noise/rattle, too. Left side. I can feel it in the foot pegs and handle bars. If I put it in gear and load up the drivetrain, it goes away.

Comment

Working...
        X