Gas in oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas in oil

I realized I should probably be in this forum for my problem. I had some great replies last night. I definitely have oil over the fill line. Gas smell in the crankcase. It leaked from what looks like the upper transmission cover on the inside which trickled down to the oil pan. This all happened after I filled the tank for the first(new, used owner that I am)time to capacity. The gentlemen last night said its probably the petcock. Is that the only reason for this? Thanks

Fuel back-flowing down the petcock vacuum line and into the carbs/cylinders/crankcase is a common failure. Weak float needles are another, particularly if the petcock is set to the Prime position, where fuel pressure on the needles never stops.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

petcock

It was in the normal vertical position

Comment

Check on Ebay under Georgefix for a good deal on a new petcock. And for Gawd's sake don't run it with gas in the oil. Change the oil and run it for around 50 km and then do it again with a new filter. This is all after installing the new petcock. Don't bother with a rebuild kit, they don't work.....
        Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
        Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
        1983 GS 750

Comment

gas in oil

Thanks for your reply. So you believe its the petcock and not the faulty float needle?

Comment

The float needle can't leak if there's nothing to leak, with a good petcock the fuel is completely shut off when the engine isn't running. There are two paths for leakage, one is the vacuum line as Ed mentioned, the other is past the float needle, but niether one occurs with a functioning petcock.

The purpose of the needle valve is to control the level of fuel in the bowl when the engine is running, it is not it's job to hold back the fuel when it's not running. The fact that it will sometimes has nothing to do with it. Replace the petcock, change the oil, and get on with the rest of the list of neglected maintenance.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

still learning

Thanks so much for all of your patience. I will indeed get a new petcock.

Comment

Second time I've read georgefix on GSR for petcocks...

Ed
                GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                  Second time I've read georgefix on GSR for petcocks...

Ed
                  Rather certain he has been mentioned a few more times than that, but please make sure you get the right "George".

Evidently there is a "Wired George" that handles some electrical items that does not share the same good reputation.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Which Gearge is the liar that used to say he could synch the carburetors and fine tune them on his engine so you don't have to?

George A or George B?

Comment

Here is a link to Georgefix on ebay so you don't get the wrong guy....
                      SKYPE ME AT hard.parts.inc JAPANESE MOTORCYCLE PARTS FOR KAWASAKI, HONDA, YAMAHA, AND SUZUKI GOOGLE GEORGEFIX TO GO TO MY prostore FOR discount pricing and CREDIT CARD USE..... PUT YOUR BIKE IN THE SEARCH BOX TO SEE WHAT I HAVE LISTED FOR YOU CB750 CX500 Z1 XS1100 GS750
                      Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                      Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                      1983 GS 750

Comment

PetCock

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        Rather certain he has been mentioned a few more times than that, but please make sure you get the right "George".

Evidently there is a "Wired George" that handles some electrical items that does not share the same good reputation.

I'm sure he has....I've been going with Z1...as a matter of fact, just got my fuel petcock this week...less than $50 including shipping. Pics and analysis forthcoming

Ed
                        Last edited by GSXR7ED; 05-16-2014, 05:13 PM.
                        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

When I bought my old gs1000 a year and a half ago I used a rebuild kit for the petcock and it works fine
                          82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                          80 gs1000s

Comment

That would be WIRED GEORGE claiming he runs every set of carbs he rebuilds on a good engine......i got some extra room on my cloud in heaven if anyone interested in joining me too.
                            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

This is a different George selling petcocks and things? Good to know.

Comment

Working...
                              X