chain loose then tight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AJ View Post

The ratio of teeth for your rear to front sprockets should always be an fractional number that doesn't add to a whole number after some small number of cycles. This makes the chain "walk" around the teeth so the same links don't keep lining up with the same teeth on the sprockets, making the chain wear more evenly. Otherwise your chain really will get tight and loose spots (link to link distances).
    This is rarely if ever seen in print, but it is definitely true. If every other tooth is worn differently, the same teeth are hitting the same link every time.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Bike is back home and running better then ever. thanks folks for your advice and info.

Comment

What shop did the work? I need 2 loose tires installed.

Comment

I'm in Carleton Place so a bit out of town.

I used CycleMaster in Ashton. cyclemaster@xplornet.ca
          This guy can do anything really well

there is also a tire specfic shop in Black's Corners. Blacks CornersTire <blackscornerstire@gmail.com>
          This guy is awesome for tires. you set-up an appointment drive out he does them while you wait about 30-45 min and on the road again.

I would highly recommend both shops. Not sure if you are west end Ottawa.

Comment

No, I'm in aylmer right across the river. I do all of the work on my bike except things like tires.

Comment

Working...
            X