opinions on exhaust valve pics please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

opinions on exhaust valve pics please.

Here are some pics of my exhaust valves through the ports, i am going to do a top end rebuild, but would like to wait until my other bike is on the road. In the process of doing an oil change i had a look at the exhaust valves and was just wondering on opinions on how they look.
    Bike runs fine, but has a small head gasket leak( on the opposite side of engine to the 2 valves pictured)

Is the white build up normal?

Thanks for any comments.

It's fine. Modern FI engines don't get so much of it, but that's typical for these old bikes.

Great picture by the way.

I have seen that crap on there so thick it almost closed off the port on a bike that was always ridden like a little old lady. The owner never opened the throttle and never revved it up at all. When I rode it the engine couldn't wind out or make much power at all. Ran the snot out of it for an hour and it finally started running pretty good, eventually it looked about like that one in your picture.

Have you ajusted the valve clearances and done all of the other required maintenance?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks, thats what i was hoping.
      I have babied it for the last 600 odd Km's since i did all the needed maintenance.
      Proper carb clean(yes proper), valves, electrical check e.t.c.
      Previous owner gave me the impression he only putted around town on it too.

Comment

If all is maintained and ready to ride, wheel bearings and brakes and all is good, go out to some safe open place and run the crap out of it. The bike will love it. So will you.

The old Italians knew a thing or two about engines.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thats the plan, the bike has been a frame up rebuild except the engine, if that makes sense.
          All new bearings, paint, powdercoat, But i wanted to run it before i did the engine.
          No point rebuilding the bottom end if it doesnt need it, if you know what i mean.
          It will be top end rebuild time in the next 6 months.

Comment

Working...
          X