Is this Cheap brand??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this Cheap brand??

hey all, once again more questions on parts.. local suzuki dealer quoted me 180$ for piston ring sets, just the rings.. been looking on ebay and other sites for cheaper oem rings and the only rings i can find are HY brand.. has anyone used these rings? yes i know nothing compares to oem, but I'm just curious on who makes these and are they quality parts? thanks for your time guys

I can't say, but it's a cold day in H*ll before I give a dealer 180 for a set of rings. Cheap rings wouldn't scare me any.

Comment

How much are the HY rings?

I need some rings, but the price for OEM is crazy.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Check with Azr

I got him some Ebay rings, don't remember the brand
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

It is true that OEM rings are not all that cheap, but Parts Outlaw has standard-bore rings for $34.26 per cylinder, that would be $137.04 for the set of four.

Add in a few bucks for shipping, it's still considerably cheaper than your dealer.

By the way, I am assuming that this is for a 1000G that you have mentioned in previous threads?

Please add a signature that mentions your bike, or at least remember to mention what bike we are talking about. Not everybody is willing to look through your posting history to see what you have. I usually don't bother, but it's a slow day at work.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

yes 81 1000gl. last night i did more digging, found G&S Suzuki online and they are the cheapest OEM parts i could find. 33.21 per cylinder and also found head gasket for 84.51, my dealer told me retail at 115. so this morning i put a parts list together, went to my suzuki dealer here in green bay and told him to match price + half of shipping it would take to get from G&S, or im walking out the door. fifteen minutes and 400$ later I've got piston rings, base gasket, head gasket, oil pan gasket, rebuild kits for front and rear master cylinders, and a key chain!

Comment

A key chain? Pics?
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

heres the link for the one i got. can't upload photos as of now, cable for phone to computer got wrapped up in vacuum by girlfriend..

Comment

Originally posted by blacksmoke611 View Post
                  yes 81 1000gl. last night i did more digging, found G&S Suzuki online and they are the cheapest OEM parts i could find. 33.21 per cylinder ... i put a parts list together, went to my suzuki dealer here in green bay and told him to match price ...
                  Feel free to use G&S for price-matching like that, but many of us have found some very good reasons to not actually buy anything more from them.

Yes, they are the cheapest out there, but their customer service is also about the cheapest. Several of us have gotten screwed in various ways on several orders from them, so we suggest that you don't actually buy anything there.

Their price of $33.21 per cylinder is only $1.05 cheaper than Parts Outlaw (the one I gave you a link for). For the total of $4.20 extra for that order (probably a little more for the other items, too), it is worth the peace of mind to order from a better vendor.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                  X