changing # of teeth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

changing # of teeth

No this isnt about dental work. Im getting ready to finally change from 630 to 530 chain and sprockets. Its on a 83 gs1100 e. Has anyone experimented with changing the teeth to get better cruise? Its not bad and ill probably keep it stock gearing, but now would be the time to consider any changes.

Better cruise as in more acceleration without downshifting?
    Or better cruise as in you don't like to listen to your engine?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Every one of my chain drive liter bikes and larger has either a 2.56:1 or 2.625:1 final drive ratio currently. On the 1100E's, it helps eliminate the handlebar buzz that takes place right around 4,000rpm. (70mph)
      I recently did a highway only mileage run on one of my '81's, to check out the '78 750 that I now have, and staying at a steady indicated 75mph or above to pass, I averaged 50mpg. I am happy.

Comment

Use this forum to discuss racing your GS. Bike mods, gear requirements as well as sanctioning body requirements are some of things that are talked about in this forum.

Comment

im thinking lower rpm. i travel alot on it daily. i dont need a stoplight racer.

Comment

18/48 is what I run.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
              18/48 is what I run.
              Yeah, but you have a whole lot more grunt than a stocker.

18/50 on a 530 setup is nearly identical to stock and works out to excellent chain walk at 116 links.

18/48 will giver you about 5% lower rpm at cruise. 114 links will give you acceptable chain walk. 116 links would be better, but may move your rear wheel back too far. I'd buy the 116 link chain and shorten it if it were too long.

Comment

thanks for the advice. i went ahead and ordered the 18/50 set-up. the guy i spoke to at z1 was very helpful. even suggested an equal but less expensive chain that what i saw on their site. (it s an x, o-ring chain). figured this bikes engine can dish out what ever I ask of it as far a cruise or low-end. The sprokets and chain couldnt arrive too soon tho.

Comment

Working...
                X