Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch not releasing?

Good Morning,

I have a 80 GS550L that I picked up 2 years ago and have put about 5,000 miles on her now and have absolutely loved it. However I loaned it out to a friend recently and it came back broken. It starts up fine but when I pull the clutch in and drop it in first gear it jumps forward and dies. I adjusted the cable at the handle and at the case, no luck. I pulled the the cover off that covers the chain sprocket and the cable is attached and looks good (new cable) the pushrod for the pressure plate moves and I adjusted that as well for good measure. Still the clutch won't release. So I then removed the cover for the clutch pack, inspected all the springs, discs, and cage. All in spec according to the manual. I pulled all the discs out and then tried to push the bike in gear thinking there should be no resistance. The bike still feels like its in gear even though the engine never turns over. I can still find all the gears with no problem and the tire will spin freely in neutral.
    Just wanted to check with you guys before I start pulling it apart if there is something that I am missing. Or if anyone has experienced this issue before.
    Thanks for the help.

Originally posted by Rising-sun_GS View Post
    Good Morning,

I have a 80 GS550L that I picked up 2 years ago and have put about 5,000 miles on her now and have absolutely loved it. However I loaned it out to a friend recently and it came back broken. It starts up fine but when I pull the clutch in and drop it in first gear it jumps forward and dies. I adjusted the cable at the handle and at the case, no luck. I pulled the the cover off that covers the chain sprocket and the cable is attached and looks good (new cable) the pushrod for the pressure plate moves and I adjusted that as well for good measure. Still the clutch won't release. So I then removed the cover for the clutch pack, inspected all the springs, discs, and cage. All in spec according to the manual. I pulled all the discs out and then tried to push the bike in gear thinking there should be no resistance. The bike still feels like its in gear even though the engine never turns over. I can still find all the gears with no problem and the tire will spin freely in neutral.
    Just wanted to check with you guys before I start pulling it apart if there is something that I am missing. Or if anyone has experienced this issue before.
    Thanks for the help.
    You pulled everything out and pushed the bike and still acts like it's in gear? If that is the case, then something in the trans is amiss?
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Yep thats the conclusion that Im coming to. Wondering if there is anything in particular to be looking for.

Comment

Working...
      X