Have no clue about this bike need help 1982 gs850gl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have no clue about this bike need help 1982 gs850gl

1982 gs850gl Ok so i bought this bike for 500$ and the carbs were leaking so i guess they leaked into the engine and now it needs a new piston i have no compression in cylander 1 i have no clue where to start i was told it was bored out before can i get pistons for this bike still and is it gona be supper expensive to find piston rings gasket? And can i re use bolts or are they 1 time use?

I took it to a shop they took a gallon of gas out of the crank case from the leak i got new clutches, stator, rectifier and now the damn piston and ring think i need help on how to fix this problem? Thanks

Comment

Before you tear anything apart, check your valve clearances. They usually tighten up with use, and when they get too tight, the valve will not close fully and you will have ... no compression. I would hate for you to go through all the trouble and expense of an upper-end rebuild when you could have just adjusted the valves.

Now, to fix your other problems, you will need to fully rebuild the carbs and possibly replace the petcock. Both are relatively easy, but rebuilding the carbs takes some chemicals, some time and LOTS of attention to details. If you don't feel up to the task, there are a few of us here that offer a rebuild service on the carbs.

When the shop drained the crankcase, how did they know what was gas and what was oil? How much total fluid did they remove? I ask that because there is a gallon of OIL in there normally. You are leading me to believe that there was a total of TWO gallons.

Where are you? One of us might be close enough to help you keep it out of a "shop".

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Zavallo62 View Post
        1982 gs850gl Ok so i bought this bike for 500$ and the carbs were leaking so i guess they leaked into the engine and now it needs a new piston i have no compression in cylander 1 i have no clue where to start i was told it was bored out before can i get pistons for this bike still and is it gona be supper expensive to find piston rings gasket? And can i re use bolts or are they 1 time use?
        Slow down, breathe in through your eyes, it's not all that bad.

What Steve said, the fuel in the oil had nothing to do with the low compression. It's almost always the neglected valves. What you have is a lot of different maintenance issues, which can all be addressed easily enough, it just takes time, effort and a little bit of money.

There is a lot of information here:

Sit down and read for a week or two.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

your bike is not bored out.
          people tell stories to help sell there stuff....
          you should have had compression on all 4 before any other work was done.
          you or the shop did it backwards...not good.

Comment

First, welcome to the forum

Second, you are going to find that your $500 project bike is going to cost you thousands, twice what a good riding machine will if you take your bike to a mechanic, especially one that doesn't know about how old bikes work.

So, without knowing the bike's history and what you've done to it, all we're doing is speculating on what the problems are with your bike.

Go here,

Greetings and Salutations, (EDIT: Please DO NOT "Reply" to this thread to introduce yourself. This is an informational post only. Feel free to start a new thread in the "GS Owners" section of the forum to introduce yourself. Thanks!) Every once in a while I will miss a new member or two and they may not

read through it and all of the links. You have a lot of work to do if you want to revive an old bike.
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Uh, what type of RR did you use? If you got the old shunt style, you didn't do yourself any favors. The best upgrade for the RR now is a series type.
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Motor is stuffed, throw it away.

Post 1.
                Ok so I got this bike...............

Lets try again;
                Hi guys, I would like to introduce myself, I am from xyz and I just bought a GS850L, here are some pics, my problem is.................

Ah phaaaaaaa stuffit.

Comment

I had the carbs rebuilt,new petcock,new valve shims,stator,rectifier, now it has no compression in valve 1 only the other ones are very close in compression im from washington pa i would really appriciate it if some one could take a look at it and give me some advice on what to do. Thanks

Comment

Recheck the valve clearances on #1. Actually on all of them. Do it yourself so there's no bullschit.

Comment

I also had new clutches in put in it they said they think it just need a piston and ring in cylinder 1 i am only 17 and do not know how to work on things like this but i am trying to learn i love the bike gs are my favorite so i am trying to fix it

Comment

They are ripping you off up one side and down the other.

Comment

Find a different shop..... As mentioned previously, any show that would do work on bike with no compression in one cylinder is not a shop you want to do business with. Compression should have been the first fix\diagnosis....

Comment

If i put new rings in it do u think that will fix my problem cause thats what another shop told me i had to do but they said the engine has to come out of the bike or they want 600 to take it out

Comment

If i put new rings in it do u think that will fix my problem cause thats what another shop told me i had to do but they said the engine has to come out of the bike or they want 600 to take it out
                              NO, they are ripping you off. The engine does not have to come out of the bike to put in new rings, but it is a very expensive thing to do corrctly if you don't do the work yourself. The low compression is ALMOST ALWAYS caused by improper valve adjustment. There can be no compression if the valves do not close. Checking the valves is not that hard to do. Adjust the valves, do it yourself, ride it a while and then recheck the compression. Or don't recheck it. it really doesn't matter.

If you can't do these simple maintenance procedures yourself, be smart and buy a newer bike.

Comment

Working...
                              X