What to use in place of SAE 90a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to use in place of SAE 90a

The manual for my 80' 1000G says to straight 90 hypoid gear oil, since that oil is kinda obsolete...what do you guys use in place of it?

75W-140 synthetic gear oil. In the secondary AND final drive units.
    That is until Mr. Postcount is my name comes along and says otherwise. Then, you MUST listen to him!

Comment

Mr. Postcount here correcting GSX1000E again...

For 90 weight gear oil the modern equivalent is 75W-90. The W indicates "winter", or in other words the cold flowability of the oil. 75W oil will have slightly better cold flow characteristics than did the old, old straight 90 weight oils. When up to temperataure, both will behave like a 90 weight oil. 75W-140 on the other hand will be a good bit thicker than 90 weight when warm. Don't think it will hurt anything, but not sure deviating from the manuals recommendation is prudent.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Sorry, wrong post count hog. BTW, the W stands for the BASE WEIGHT rating of the oil.
        It has nothing to do with the climate change that we often hear about on the news.

Comment

I'm sorry, the W still means Winter, just as it always has.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            For 90 weight gear oil the modern equivalent is 75W-90. The W indicates "winter", or in other words the cold flowability of the oil.
            Originally posted by GSX1000E View Post
            Sorry, wrong post count hog. BTW, the W stands for the BASE WEIGHT rating of the oil.
            It has nothing to do with the climate change that we often hear about on the news.
            Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            I'm sorry, the W still means Winter, just as it always has.
            From Wikipedia:
            Grades

The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) has established a numerical code system for grading motor oils according to their viscosity characteristics. SAE viscosity gradings include the following, from low to high viscosity: 0, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 40, 50 or 60. The numbers 0, 5, 10, 15 and 25 are suffixed with the letter W, designating they are "winter" (not "weight") or cold-start viscosity, at lower temperature. The number 20 comes with or without a W, depending on whether it is being used to denote a cold or hot viscosity grade. The document SAE J300 defines the viscometrics related to these grades.
            Ed and Tom, thanks for stepping in before I saw this.
            GSX1000E feels he has to comment on the frequency of my posting with virtually every post I make.

Somehow, he also does not seem to believe the accuracy of what I post, so it's nice to see some others help him "see the light".

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

75W-90 means the oil tests as a 75W oil in the cold, or winter test, and as a 90 weight oil in the high temperature test.

75W-90 will flow the same in cold temps as 75W-140. In high temps though the 75W-140 will be much thicker.

One other mistake some people make is referring to single weight oils, such as SAE 30 weight, as 30W. This is incorrect. 30 weight oil is different from 30W oil.

Edit: Steve posted while I was typing...
              Last edited by Nessism; 05-24-2014, 10:43 PM.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                Edit: Steve posted while I was typing...
                You realize, of course, that I just HAD to add another post to my count.
                That is until Mr. Postcount is my name comes along ...

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

I currently own 7 GS models that are shaft driven. Of the four running bikes with engines in them, I run 75W-140 whatever you choose to use in your G models is up to you.
                  BTW, do any of the other posters in this thread even own a RUNNING GS G model or ride one?

Comment

The W means Winter no matter what you ride or drive.
                    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

BTW, do any of the other posters in this thread even own a RUNNING GS G model or ride one?
                      Three of the four GSes in my signature are licensed, insured and used just about every day.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

I've just replaced the oil in the bevel drive box and differential with Penrite Hypoid gear oil 80W-90.

I used the oil initially two years ago and replaced it with fresh from the same 2.5 litre container last night. The oil in the bevel drive transfer case was like new while the diff oil was slightly discoloured from the original gold colour of the fresh oil.

I will get another change from the container in two years time as both take less than 800 ml in total.
                        Johno

current rides 1981 GS1000G and 2005 GSX1400
                        1977 Kawasaki KZ400 D4

previous bikes 1978 GS1000HC
                        1977 GS400
                        1974 Montesa 250
                        1960s Kawasaki 175

Comment

Originally posted by Johno View Post
                          I will get another change from the container in two years time as both take less than 800 ml in total.
                          I change the oil in the drive units when I change my rear tire.

Don't forget ... when you pull your rear wheel off, grease the splines, preferably with Honda Moly 60 paste.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            I change the oil in the drive units when I change my rear tire.

Don't forget ... when you pull your rear wheel off, grease the splines, preferably with Honda Moly 60 paste.

All good suggestions Steve.

I have a life time supply of Honda Moly 60.

I have been on the GS Resources now since 2003 so I have absorbed most of the great advice.

That's why my GS is so reliable. No concerns about going on a 1500 km trip with only needing to do the basic checks.
                            Johno

current rides 1981 GS1000G and 2005 GSX1400
                            1977 Kawasaki KZ400 D4

previous bikes 1978 GS1000HC
                            1977 GS400
                            1974 Montesa 250
                            1960s Kawasaki 175

Comment

Working...
                            X