is SAE 10/40 still ok?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is SAE 10/40 still ok?

After switching out the oil in my katana for a bunch of fresh semi synthetic sae 10w/40 oil, I've got blueish white smoke coming out of the exhaust.

Before I switched the oil it was smoke free, is this modern oil too thin for these old beasts?

No, modern oil is not thinner than old oil. Stay clear of auto oil though. Not enough zinc and phosphorus (high pressure additives). Get motorcycle or diesel engine oil. Shell Rotella is the forum favorite.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

And, they're off!
      NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
      Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Syn, syn, syn, syn, anything syn
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Was good enough at one time according to the filler cap.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Did you possibly over fill it ?
            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
              Did you possibly over fill it ?
              Yes I did, I put about 2700ml in instead of 2500, the oil was just above the f line on the window. Could have been the straw that broke the camels back perhaps, although I didn't ride to far at that level, maybe 30 miles or so.

Comment

How about a little history lesson?

How long have you owned it?

Wha oil was in it before?

Have you checked the petcock?
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  How about a little history lesson?

How long have you owned it?

Wha oil was in it before?

Have you checked the petcock?
                  I picked this beauty up in November last year.

black stuff and only about 2 liters of it.

yes and I don't leave it overnite on prime either

so what bikes do you own as I see an empty list in your signature?

Comment

No, modern oil isn't too thin

But, there are modern oils that are not compatible with these old bikes.

What oil did you use, exactly?

The best way to gauge the issue is to check your oil consumption.

The white smoke may just be something burning off
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by CartoonLifeStyle View Post

so what bikes do you own as I see an empty list in your signature?
                      One of each. If I were the one asking for help I'd mention which bike it was for.
                      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

oooooo handbags at dawn 'eh

.... diesel oil's a winner imo

Comment

The stuff you REALLY want to avoid are any oils that are 'energy conserving' according to the little round label. They have additives that can make your clutch slip, and I believe the can impregnate the fibers and ruin the plates. Everything else is negotiable.

Except I use Shell Rotella so anyone what doesn't is a poopyknickers.
                          "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Don't worry about smoke, go by how the bike Runs. Does it Idle, and return to Idle well, snappy throttle, no Hanging Rpm's, good power at full throttle, hesitation or vibration?
                            (but yeah blue smoke is not right, you said Oil over-fill I guess)
                            Last edited by Guest; 05-30-2014, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CartoonLifeStyle View Post
                              After switching out the oil in my katana for a bunch of fresh semi synthetic sae 10w/40 oil, I've got blueish white smoke coming out of the exhaust.

Before I switched the oil it was smoke free, is this modern oil too thin for these old beasts?
                              ...................... hi guys i,m in australia,,,, i,ve used shell sx4 ,,fortified oil for over 10years ,, i went to buy another lot ,,yep shell has decided to stuff around and drop that ,,,and now i,ve got to go other variant oils the may be o.k. i,m currently looking at other oils regards oldgrumpy

Comment

Working...
                              X