Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Cam Chain Tensioner

Hi all
    I have had to do some work on the camshafts (Suzuki 1982 GSX 1100EZ). I have reset and reinstalled the cam chain tensioner and just have one question. After having released the locking screw which allows the plunger rod to move forward and take up the tension on the chain. What do i now do with the locking screw and nut. Someone said i should now nip up the locking screw to the plunger rod then tighten the lock nut. I thought as it's supposed to be self adjusting the plunger rod would need to be allowed to be free and move forward if and when necessary to keep the chain tensioned. I'm thinking i need to have that locking screw backed off just enough so it doesn't impede the movement of the plunger rod. Any answers greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by carvan40 View Post
    Hi all
    I have had to do some work on the camshafts. I have reset and reinstalled the cam chain tensioner and just have one question. After having released the locking screw which allows the plunger rod to move forward and take up the tension on the chain. What do i now do with the locking screw and nut. Someone said i should now nip up the locking screw to the plunger rod then tighten the lock nut. I thought as it's supposed to be self adjusting the plunger rod would need to be allowed to be free and move forward if and when necessary to keep the chain tensioned. I'm thinking i need to have that locking screw backed off just enough so it doesn't impede the movement of the plunger rod. Any answers greatly appreciated.
    You are right,someone is wrong. It needs to be free to move. Leave the screw out that little bit and tighten the locknut.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

You are correct, it needs to move. After installing the tensioner and releasing the plunger, tighten the set screw until it touches the plunger, then back off 1/4 to 1/2 turn, NO MORE, then use the lock nut to hold it in that position.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the help guy's , i now have peace of mind.

Comment

Working...
        X