1978 suzuki gs 750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 suzuki gs 750

Wondering how to adjust clutch on this bike, when I put into first gear I get a good clack sound usually, time to rebuild it or can it be adjusted?

Never gonna be all that quiet.

Neutral easy to find?

Any slippage?

Comment

Also, where's your idle?

Comment

Idles around 1100 rpm no slippage just seems loud not sure if it's normal

Comment

How did you set the worm gear adjustment? And the slack in the cable?
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

If you can get it into neutral while idling in gear at a dead stop, AND it doesn't slip, that is as good as it gets.
            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

There are 3 places to do adjustments.

First you take the smaller clutch adjustment cover off the main sprocket cover. You will see the cable attaches to the actuator. On the actuator is a jam nut and a set screw arrangemant. Loosen the nut and turn the screw in till it touches the push rod then back out about 1/4 turn and lock down the jam nut.

Secondly, you use the nut where the cable passes thru the cover as your mian adjustment point. Set the threaded part of the adjuster at the bars so youre about center of the threads in the perch.

Now make all major adjustments with the nut down at the sprocket cover. Once you get it feeling real good from the lower nut adjustment, you make all your fine tuning adjustments up at the lever.

And my 77 750 makes a little clunk too. So did my 78. Seems to be a normal thing.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                how did you set the worm gear adjustment? And the slack in the cable?
                worm gear!

Comment

It makes the clunk sound because the oil in the clutch causes a slight drag in the clutch. As long as the bike doesn't try to lurch forward and the clutch doesn't slip you should be fine. If you are concerned about the noise try pulling your clutch in and waiting about 10 seconds before you try to kick it to first. This will give your transmission gears time to slow down before the shift.

Comment

You could probably drop that idle down a bit too...

Comment

thanks for the info, did some minor adjustments and its seems to be a lot smoother

Comment

Chain

How's your chain and sprocket condition/adjustment?
                        sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
                        '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
                        '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
                        '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
                        '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
                        '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
                        '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
                        '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
                        '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
                        '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

Ok, I have the same bike. I just put a 530 chain and sprockets on. I have put everything back together but know I am have problems with my clutch, I know how to adjust it, my problem is not havering the middle place. If I adjust it one way, then I idal while being in gear. If I adjust it the other way just a little bit it takes off in first with clutch handle pulled in. I have read the manual and tried to adjust it many times. Any ideas?

Comment

Working...
                          X