Drive shaft oil seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drive shaft oil seal

Well I found another oil leak, the centre stand had some oil on it, not much but enough to make me curious. So I took the gear lever off and took of the cover and found nothing. So I then undone the drive shaft boot clamp and pulled the boot back and got a pool of oil about 6inch accross on the floor. The boot did a good job of containing it.
    I presume it is the Oil Seal (part number 0928335018) for a GS650 1981 (gtx) that is to blame.
    Is it just a case of disconnecting the prop shaft, taking off the flange removing the seal and then reverse the operation? while the engine is still in the frame etc.

The seal is about £15 from Suzuki (description on the parts fiche says Oil Seal (35x52x9))but I can get an patten one from my local baring company for about £3 (35x52x9mm Nitrile Rubber Rotary Shaft Oil Seal with Garter Spring R23 / TC).

What do you think?

Disclaimer; I've never done this and I'm not planning on living long enough to have to do it on mine,But..
    It looks to me that you got to drop the swingarm (at the bearing pivots) and remove the secondary drive gear assembly from crankcase so you can remove that big nut holding u-joint flange on to disassemble the unit. Best to mark orientation of secondary drive with crankcase before extracting it. and note shims used by the lucky guy who spent his days doing this stuff.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I have been doing a bit of research and found that this oil seal hardley ever fails, so what else could it be?
      I just want to cover all bases befor I remove her rear end

Comment

Originally posted by UK-GT View Post
        I just want to cover all bases befor I remove her rear end
        Good plan,buy her dinner first! Anyways, maybe this seal weeps a bit over the years and the boot needs to be drained occasionally- like every 25 years! mine seems empty, but I'd rather not investigate and jeopardize my status in the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" forum.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

The seal has now been replaced. 2.5hrs start to finish, I don't think that was to bad considering I have never had the swinging arm off before.
          I will now have to keep an eye on it.

Comment

Working...
          X