GS850 Cam Lobe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 Cam Lobe

Got the valve clearances sorted out but discovered this in the process.

It's the #3 exhaust and I assume someone has rotated the engine with no shim in the bucket. Also about half of the cap bolts have been replaced with something from the hardware store as shown in the pic.

Will it be safe to run with the lobe in that condition?

On the other hand the gaskets came off no-muss, no-fuss, little clean-up.

Thanks,
    Rick

As long as there is no metal protruding from the lobes and scoring the shim/bucket, you should be fine. Double-check the condition of the shims/buckets, though. Make sure you don't see any metal shavings still hanging around in the head area as well.

Check that the hardware store bolts are the proper grade. If it were me, I would be inclined to replace them with the correct OEM bolts and retorque them all to service manual specs, but I'm OCD like that.
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
      Check that the hardware store bolts are the proper grade. If it were me, I would be inclined to replace them with the correct OEM bolts and retorque them all to service manual specs, but I'm OCD like that.

That looks like an 8.8 bolt, which is NOT the correct grade. I'd fix that pronto, then maybe go smack the PO who did that upside the head. (Is it really so damn hard to use a torque wrench?)

As eil noted, the cam lobe should be fine.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
        That looks like an 8.8 bolt, which is NOT the correct grade. I'd fix that pronto, then maybe go smack the PO who did that upside the head. (Is it really so damn hard to use a torque wrench?)

As eil noted, the cam lobe should be fine.
        Thanks guys,

O.K. I've ordered the bolts. Hate to wait another week and a half for O.E.M. just to get it tuned properly.

I've had the thing for two years and only put 55 miles on it.

I'm afraid I could'nt stop at just one smack... for this and many other transgressions.

Rick

Comment

Working...
        X