'82/'83 1100e gearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
    The chain size has nothing to do with it, the drive reduction is only based on the number of teeth on each sprocket.

Mark
    Even though there are more links per length of 530 than 630? (Aren't there more?)
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

It is in the relationship of sprocket rotations to each other more then the chain , it can be only so long being a 530 or a 630 with a stock swing arm.
      81 gs 1100 E One owner,Me.

Comment

Originally posted by yank View Post
        It is in the relationship of sprocket rotations to each other more then the chain , it can be only so long being a 530 or a 630 with a stock swing arm.
        true, but it is the tooth ratio that directly specifies the ideal mechanical advantage and therefore is easily equated to the gear ratio. Generally this is the easiest parameter to understand as well as measure.

The rotation rates of counters sprocket and rear sprocket are inversely related to radius (relative to center of rotation) of the the linear chain motion relative to a common frame or reference (the bike). Rather than measuring the radiuses of the chain relative to the center, it is easier to count teeth.
        Last edited by posplayr; 06-05-2014, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
          You're right, I did the math backwards. 15/40 comes out to 4238 rpm at 70mph.

How many teeth on your front sprocket?
          So if I have a 40 rear, and I'm revving approx 4,650 rpm at an indicated 70 mph, can anyone figure out how many teeth are on my front sprocket?

One of the reasons I'm confused is that stock is 15/42, and that produces 3811 rpm at 60. I think I'm revving slightly higher than that, but my 40-tooth rear leads me to believe I should be revving less. Smaller rear, "geared up," revving lower, correct?

So my front must be very small, correct? How much smaller than 15 could it be?
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Can't you remove the cover & look?
            '85 GS550L - SOLD
            '85 GS550E - SOLD
            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
            '81 GS750L - SOLD
            '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
            '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
            '82 GS1100G - SOLD
            '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
              So if I have a 40 rear, and I'm revving approx 4,650 rpm at an indicated 70 mph, can anyone figure out how many teeth are on my front sprocket?

One of the reasons I'm confused is that stock is 15/42, and that produces 3811 rpm at 60. I think I'm revving slightly higher than that, but my 40-tooth rear leads me to believe I should be revving less. Smaller rear, "geared up," revving lower, correct?

small is bad in the front.
              14 is ok on a 630 but a 13 will crunch the chain...bad bad bad.
              spend a few minutes and pull the cover...count/know/replace if you like.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                14 is ok on a 630 but a 13 will crunch the chain...bad bad bad.
                spend a few minutes and pull the cover...count/know/replace if you like.
                Everything is getting replaced - two brand new sprockets and brand new chain at exactly the same time. Just trying to figure out if I want to change the gearing.

I'd like a less frantic engine speed on the highway, but I don't want to sacrifice any of that crazy 1100 acceleration we all love.

And I can easily see why too small in front is a no-no.

Comment

You need a starting point or it's a crap shoot,pull the cover and count the teeth. Also it's well documented what would work to acheve what you are looking for, you need to know how many teeth are on the front sprocket. As Blowerbike said you do not want to be to small on the front.
                  Last edited by yank; 06-05-2014, 10:58 PM.
                  81 gs 1100 E One owner,Me.

Comment

I don't yet know what's on the front, but I don't like the idea of the front being different than stock, so I'll probably go with 15 and just use the back to adjust the gearing.

Comment

I don't yet know what's on the front, but I don't like the idea of the front being different than stock, so I'll probably go with 15 and just use the back to adjust the gearing.
                      Yea thinking is never a good idea if it hurts.

Comment

Even though there are more links per length of 530 than 630? (Aren't there more?)
                        Think about it this way: if you put an extended swingarm on your bike do you think the gearing changes simply because you need a longer chain? As for the chain pitch, the center distance between the rollers (the chain pitch) is designated by the chain number, in 1/8" increments. The "5" in 530 means the pitch will be 5/8". 630 chain has a pitch of 6/8"(=3/4").

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                        Rather than measuring the radiuses of the chain relative to the center, it is easier to count teeth.
                        Yep. It is really the pitch diameter ratio that matters, but the roller pitch has to be the same for both sprockets, so the tooth count is directly proportional to the pitch diameter and is far easier to measure.

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                        Yes, the smaller the sprocket the faster the chain wears. If you go really small you can get to a point where the loads on the chain components increase significantly and the chain can break at a much lower load than in a straight tensile test. None of our sprockets ever get that small but it can be an issue in industrial applications.

Mark
                        Last edited by mmattockx; 06-08-2014, 07:01 PM. Reason: typo
                        1982 GS1100E
                        1998 ZX-6R
                        2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

sorry sorry

18/50 is what i ment

18/50

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                            How do you get a GS1100 motor all the way to 46,000 RPM????
                            Ray.
                            4.6K is 4600 rpm. (4.6 thousand)
                            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Take 5 minutes to remove the cover and count the teeth on the counter shaft.
                              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                                Take 5 minutes to remove the cover and count the teeth on the counter shaft.
                                he has to remove the foot peg and the shifter linkage at the engine.
                                he will then have to re install the shift linkage on the correct spline location.
                                then he will have to start a "new" thread..bike won't go into 1st or what ever.

Comment

Working...
                                X