Loud Engine Clunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loud Engine Clunk

Last Fall i picked up a 1981 GS850G and after a bit of work mostly simple stuff the bike was running great. Even made it down the blue ridge parkway. I've done about 2000 trouble free miles so far this year and it now has about 10000 Miles on it.

So i went to start my 1981 GS850G this morning and just after i hit the starter, the motor turned about 3 or 4 times and just as the engine was about the start it made a very loud clank. A sort of sharp high pitched metal on metal sound. The engine stopped immediatly almost as if it had seized and the starting motor could no longer turn the engine. I waited about 5 minutes and it started right up no problem. Its running fine still and i havent noticed any loss in power or any other issues while its running but i still am not really sure what really happened.

Could the engine have somehow hydrolocked? I still have the original petcock and would prefer to have one that i can turn off but the only ones i'm able to find are the rebuild kits for vacuum actuated kind.

Or is this a possible issue with the starting motor and starter clutch assembly?
    Last edited by Guest; 06-06-2014, 03:09 PM.

Although the petcock can/do fail without notice on these bikes, it is most likely that your starter clutch is in need of attention and/or your battery is getting weak. Most likely both the battery and starter clutch need attention.
    Also, check your charging system for any health problems.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I did replaced the battery along with the stator and regulator rectifier. I'm fairly certain the battery is working and is charging.

I tried starting it again and for some reason it seemed like the starter motor was having some trouble turning the engine at first like there is some kind of resistance. Eventually it started turning faster but it took a few tries to get the engine started.
      Last edited by Guest; 06-06-2014, 11:42 AM.

Comment

"..I'm fairly certain the battery is working and is charging"

Don't be fairly certain, be absolutely certain; at some point do a quick test in this link

But first, best to pull off stator cover and inspect its innards , sounds like something came loose -maybe a screw or your starter clutch drive is failing. check it now and avoid more damage.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
        X