Floppy clutch arm. Please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Floppy clutch arm. Please help

I've been rebuilding a 1982 GS1100GK. When I bought it, everything worked great, I rode it home with no problems at all. When I was re installing my clutch cable I noticed that the clutch lever on the handlebars was loose (looser than I remember) when I took a look at the lever arm on the engine housing it has absolutely no spring to it at all. I removed the clutch housing cover and saw that the center shaft that goes through the middle of the clutch plates is free floating. I'm just not familiar enough with this to know if something is majorly wrong or if its an easy fix. Before I dig into this thing I was hoping that someone could tell me if this is by chance normal and once the engine kicks on something engages or what. Just kind of weird that it worked great on the ride home and I haven't touched it during the rebuild, now I'm wondering if I'm in trouble. Anyway, please help if you can. Thanks.

the rack just sit's in the PP.
    on the 16v. engines they have a clip.
    sounds like your rack is not engaged properly in your clutch cover.
    it's a really simple mechanism once you look at all the parts and see how it works.

Comment

Figured it out, thanks!

Comment

Hi all,
        So the ("rack, release"), the horizontal shaft, that protrudes through the pressure plate and engages with the vertical shaft (pinion, release)is supposed to be sort of free floating, loosey goosey when the clutch housing is removed? I was thinking that was a problem and the source of some of my clutch rattle. Please chime in.
        Thanks,
        sbmisajw

Comment

What bike is this? When you pull clutch cover off, the rack disengages from the pinion. Upon reinstall, you will likely have to reposition clutch lever arm (the thing on top of clutch cover) to find the position that offers enough engagement throw when you use hand lever. Rattle might be loose big nut that holds basket on
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Hey tom203,
            The bike I'm talking about is my 1982 GS 1100GL. I did check the large nut that hold the basket, expecting that to be the cause of the low rpm rattle. I even purchased the APE nut before I took the clutch down. The large nut seems very secure and the fold over washer is in place with no apparent distortion or damage. I hear what you are saying about how the rack and pinion engage each other and that holds one end of the rack in place but what about the opposite end of the rack release? What holds that end of the rack release in place? A bushing, a bearing? The only thing I see in the OEM diagram looks to be a oil seal.
            Thanks,
            sbmisajw

Comment

The "rack release" has a thrust bearing and washer that it rides on as you disengage clutch - part #24 and 25. Other end rides in hole in clutch cover case

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Ok,
                Thanks a bunch. You the man! The thrust bearing and washer you directed me to both appear to be in good condition so I guess I'll just live with the rattle that sounds like a diesel at low rpm. As I said before, I was hoping it was just the big 'nut' but everything inside the clutch cover seems to be clean and tight without signs of any unusual wear and tear. Dang!
                Thanks again,
                sbmisajw

Comment

Working...
                X