1978 gs1000e oil in side with stator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 gs1000e oil in side with stator

Been having an issue with my bikeafter riding for about an hr I notice a small amount of smoke coming up from engine ...
    I had thought I searched everywere , then someone suggested is oil leaking into side cover where stator is ? So tonite i removed the side cover where the stator Iis and sure enough there us a very small amount of oil in there ...
    Where would this oil be coming from ? Is there a seal or o ring in behind that starting gear ?
    If so whats involved to repair this ?

The oil is supposed to be in with the stator. Nothing to fix there.

Comment

Originally posted by mark's78 View Post
      The oil is supposed to be in with the stator. Nothing to fix there.
      Well thats awsome news !! Ty . I guess back to searching where this smoke is coming from then off the engine ... dont see any leaks ! But yet once the bike gets hot afterriding for 45min to an hr the smoke starts again ....
      Degreesed entire engine yesterday , and smoking again today !!

Comment

The only thing hot enough to smoke any leaking oil is the pipes. Find what's leaking on them.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          The only thing hot enough to smoke any leaking oil is the pipes. Find what's leaking on them.
          Ill search some more .. thank you

Comment

Originally posted by lrgguy View Post
            So tonite i removed the side cover where the stator Iis and sure enough there us a very small amount of oil in there ...
            Where would this oil be coming from ? Is there a seal or o ring ?
            If so whats involved to repair this ?
            I had the same startling discovery years ago when I had a '77 Honda XL350. Luckily my fears were laid to rest.
            Kevin
            E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
            "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
            Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Working...
            X