slight gear whine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

slight gear whine

Hi all have a 81 gs1100ex, it has a slight what sounds like a gear whine. I rebuilt the cam tension about a week ago just cause I had really excess and parts, new gasket, new spring and new oring on set screw. then I noticed this whine. you cant hear it at idle but when you bring some rpms you can hear. I never noticed it before so it think its new. I took tensioner back off and redid the procedure turn nob to plunger all the way back locked it installed released plunger 1/4 turn then lock and rotate crank to take up slack. no difference, maybe since its putting more pressure know with new spring it makes a slight whine? or clutch hub coming loose. Noise is directly connected to engine rpm no difference when clutch pulled in etc. or maybe oil pump gears? sry rambling.

Sounds like you did it right, but your description is somewhat unclear to me, so let's be sure - ( the following from Steve recently)

Wind the knob back,"retract the plunger fully, lock it into place with the setscrew. Install the tensioner. Release the setscrew. You will hear the plunger move into place. Turn the setscrew in until it stops, then back out 1/4 turn and use the locknut to hold it there. Now, rotate the crank to see if it he tensioner takes up the slack"

We love rambling!
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yep that's the procedure I followed to a T. I.wish I know someone that has a gs, I hate it, don't know what's normal sounds.

Comment

Is it possible a timing chain guide came out of place, when I redid the tensioner I didn't have the valve cover off when I pulled it and re did it. I guess I can pull them out and look. Any other ideas on what it could Be?

Comment

Is my clutch hub post to wobble a little with the nut Tight? It's moves in and out a little but I can also move it side to side Probley 1/16th of a inch maybe more.

Comment

Doesn't sound right to me, but I have a mild mannered 650! Are you following the thread above regarding clutch basket?
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yep iam and still reading to see if I.find anymore info, I did strip my hub nut when I tried to retorque it, I ordered new nut, lock washer thing and new bearing the hub rides on. See what happens. Also talking to ray about maybe buying his hub he's selling,This sucks finally had it running good with pods and 4-1 not even 50 miles and know this maybe should go back to Vmax's..... Oops did I say that out loud..

Comment

Maybe a PO was a rocket sled want-a-be!
                1981 gs650L

Comment

Working...
                X