Vx800

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vx800

I know this is not in the correct forum, but as I frequent this forum more than the others I wanted to get the opinion of the GS collective on the VX800 as a 2nd bike while the GS gets some much needed attention. I can not even begin to think what I would do if I could not ride when the urge strikes.

I really like them. A little long and lanky, but cool v-twin characteristics in a unique package. Great roll-on power, too.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

I've heard nothing but good comments and happy riders for the VX. I think Bringer has had one for a while and he's happy with it.
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

had the VS700 and sold it recently.. great bike.. girl getter for sure, not like the old GSs. It attracted soo many women, thats why i had to get rid of it hahahha.
        seriously i hated v twins till I rode a suzuki, now i like 'em!!

Comment

I went to look at it tonight, started first time, boy does it pull, the V-Twin has a fair bit of low end grunt (unlike my GS650GT). Bike was tidy but the exhaust is shot, the link pipe is rotten and the downpipes are pitted. A new Suzuki exhaust is about $900, its not worth it. No one seems to make an after market exhaust for it as not many bikes were sold. So I do not think I will get it.

Comment

Check eBay. Might be able to get what you need for reasonable $$$.

Comment

It would be very easy to just get a set of headpipes off eBay and then ...

My 1990 VX800 with replacement delkevic cans for an early (02 and down) SV650. These are the 225mm version with the silencers installed.
              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

I've owned two VX800s. Sold them both, mainly because they overlapped with my GS850's "mission profile".

Very nice bikes. Gorgeous, I think. Most people thought it was a new current model Suzuki -- they had no idea it was an early '90s model because it didn't have the standard graffiti or prison tattoo graphics of the era.

The stock seat is a threat to your fertility. Rework the seat and you're ready to go anywhere. Great handling once the Suzuki-standard squishy springs and shocks were upgraded. The single rotor front brake was only OK, but worked fine as long as you installed a stainless line and decent pads.

They're very rare in the states, but the engine was the same as that used on the popular 800cc Intruder and C50 cruisers, so I didn't have too many problems getting mechanical and maintenance parts. Other bits were fairly rare on fleaBay.

The dual-carb dual-airbox system worked well in stock form, but was a bit difficult to understand and sync correctly. I finally got it exactly right on the very morning I sold my second VX800. If someone's mucked with the carbs and/or airboxes, make sure you test-ride thoroughly to make sure they didn't screw it up irretrievably.

In the US (not sure about Yurp) the early VX800 got a craptastic leaky manual petcock that led to gas in the crankcase and many bent connecting rods and engine failures. There was a recall to install the vacuum petcock it should have had all along.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                X