• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trans input shaft end play

Hey guys its been a while.

Got a question for you guys:

1981 GS1100

how much in / out - end play is acceptable for the transmission in-put shaft. (the one the clutch basket goes on)

I have searched countless threads, googled, talked to people...nothing.

I seem to remember some end play on it before a few years back now making some modifications and it doesnt seem the same.

Any help would be appreciated.

Are you referring to the SHAFT end play or the CLUTCH BASKET end play? Two different things & the trans shafts should have next to NO end play in them.
    Ray.

Comment

talking about the input shaft itself....no basket involved. I am refering to the amount of play or slop from the inner race of both the left and right side input shaft bearings...i know there is some....but how much .01 thou?? Mine seems slopier than before but i never measured originaly and its been 3 very, very, VERY hard years

Comment

If you think it excessive, put all new bearings on both shafts. The hub play measurement specs are in the factory Suzuki shop manuals. If you don't own one, & are working on your own motors, you need to buy one!
        Ray.

Comment

I dont know if it is excessive...kinda why i was asking. I know there are a multitude of factors once it is all stacked together and assembled...lateral forces on the helical gears on the basket/ crank....gears sliding back and forth in the trans.....i guess part of my concern is the bearing i can not see on the other side...they are the heavier duty max load bearings but...if anyone happens to have a engine currently open or laying around i would be curious what amount of play another engine has

Comment

I have 10 transmissions on the shelf that are easy to get to & just checked them. Very little to NO play without them even bolted into cases.
            Ray.

Comment

Okay, cool thats what i was looking for...best i can measure i have about .031 thou in and out. So i would say i have some issues!

Comment

Thank you by the way for taking the time to check for me, much appreciated!

Comment

Working...
                X