Engine noise question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine noise question

Engine noise question for the experts. I looked at a nice 82 GS1100 Thursday and it had a horrible sounding knocking noise cold at idle which he said went away when it got warm. He also said they all do that which is BS because my 80 GS1100 doesn't. Would you think a clutch problem which is where its sounds like its coming from or the stator/flywheel {?} nut being loose on it or ????????????Just curious, I passed on it
    Last edited by Guest; 06-14-2014, 02:31 PM. Reason: aditional info

starter clutch area.
    goes away when you bring it off of idle.

Comment

If he did not fix it then don't let him tell you it is nothing. Bargin. It probably in clutch or starter and there are a million threads. If it was a thrown rod you would get the "special" award for first one.

Comment

I know how to fix that, I did the one on my 80 GS1100 which is why I thought it might be that. You cant deal with him, he firmly believes its normal. Mine just quit working when the nut got too loose to engage the starter. It would have fallen off but there was no room for it to fall. Thanks

Comment

Give him a week or two. When no one buys his beater he may decide to listen to reason.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Katarat View Post
            I looked at a nice 82 GS1100
            Just curious, which model is it and what's the asking price?

Mileage?
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
            X