Valve adjust: priority what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve adjust: priority what?

I keep reading so much here about checking and adjusting valves.

If a bike starts instantly, (in any weather), idles beautifully and pulls hard all the way to redline with no stumbles, how far off could the valves be?
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

They could be far enough off to burn a valve or two tomorrow.
    CAn you hear any tapping at idle?
    How hard is it to take a look?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

If you start to feel any performance issue due to valves, it is too late.
      NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
      Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Originally posted by 1980GS1000E View Post
        If you start to feel any performance issue due to valves, it is too late.
        Really?!? Yikes!
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Again, can you hear any tapping at idle?

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            CAn you hear any tapping at idle?
            How hard is it to take a look?
            No, and pretty much impossible (for me).

Time to contribute more to my mechanic's kid's college fund.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post

Just what I was thinking. Have him tell you all the clearances through.

Comment

Tappy Valves are Happy Valves. If you can't hear them they are probably too tight.

It's a really easy DIY thing, especially on the 16 valve bikes.

Comment

Rob S are you deaf?
                  I can still hear valve clatter

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    Tappy Valves are Happy Valves. If you can't hear them they are probably too tight.
                    This. 100% true.
                    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post

How come impossible? No tools, money, or space?
                      '83 GS650G
                      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I love my bike and I think anyone who buys one is making a good decision. Nonetheless, if you're not going to work on it yourself it'll be much cheaper to spend more and buy a newer bike rather than pay a mechanic's repair bill.

I'm sure you have enough brain power to check your valves.

Comment

Listen to these guys, you could almost train a monkey to do this job.

Comment

The two valve adjustment isn't hard. The worst part is needing new shims and waiting for them. I bought a kit of them, but it was expensive. There is a shim club here that makes them inexpensive. I just like to have the parts I need to reassemble before dismantling.
                            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

train a monkey to not over tighten the jam nuts and have then come loose in your engine...seen it to many times.
                              these nuts need to be super tightened or bad thing will happen.
                              yes you make your own adjustment unlike shim types but there's a lot more room for error on the rocker type adjustment's.
                              no torque wrench used....just really tight without the adjuster turning while tightening the jam nut and loosing your clearance.

Comment

Working...
                              X