very stiff clutch when warm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
    This part sounds like the lever or perch is shot, the bearing in the cable end wasn't greased or isn't turning smoothly in the lever, the cable adjuster at the lever isn't in the right place, digging into the cable, or the cable is being cut by something in there.

Must be something to do with the lever/perch area, you can't usually feel grittiness at the far end of the cable.
    I am getting a lone of a Hydraulic Cable Greaser tomorrow and going to flush the cable out with new grease...I agree the gritty feeling can only be the cable or lever (lever looks and feels prefect though), cable was a new OEM part, looks new, feels new but I don't know how old it is, the lub may have dried up in it...the heavy feel to clutch especially when it's warm is still a mystery...the springs that have come out feel to be the same as the new ones, will give everything a good clean, new friction plates and springs and we'll see how that goes..maybe I am just too used (and old..) to a very light hydraulic clutch on the Truimph..

thanks for help guys

Comment

Take off the cover and give the end of the acuator shaft a few smacks.Bbearing comes out the top of the cover. Also, how tight did you do the lever bolt..too tight and it pinches the sides of the perch in and make the lever too tight also.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

thanks for that info...I loosened the lever bolt thinking this might be the case....BUT..I have been looking at the pressure plate, the holes the springs go into..some have ridges/scores in them where it looks like the springs have been rubbing...maybe when the springs are compressed they are moving over these ridges giving the odd (for a better word) 'not' smooth feeling...they also look like tappered holes too or I might have reemed them out and clean them up..will try the dremmel and a emery wheel to take the worst off...would have taken a photo but can't get a good shot down the hole.

cheers guys

Comment

right..got everything out and it all looks like new (some very smooth ridges on fingers..bike has done 32K so must expect something, almost can't feel them with my finger)..it does look like the springs that were in are all HD so that doesn't help matters...and the new OEM ones that came are also HD (so much for asking for OEM...)..aghh..anyway some normal ones will be in the post tomorrow...one question though..the nut holding the basket in was almost finger tight once the tab was flattened off..what should this be torqued up to when it goes back on...if it is in the manual I have missed it.... off to soak the new plates in oil and grease the cable, then reassemble

Cheers guys

Comment

Well the new springs arrived this morning...everything is back together and is unbelievable, it is so easy and smooth to use the clutch now I thought it was not working to start with....one of these feel good days....

Thanks for advice give guys

RB

Comment

Working...
            X