A few Chain and sprockets questions '78 550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few Chain and sprockets questions '78 550

So I finally replaced my embarrassingly worn roller chain and lord knows how old sprockets with a new x-ring and sprockets from Z1. Here is the outcome.

I didn't check what sprockets I had before buying new ones, just foolishly assumed they were stock. Turns out there was a 17 up front previously. I bought a stock 15, and thought I'd grab a 14 to get a little more snap off the line. Well I'm getting tonnes of comparative snap going down to the 15 from the 17 as it is.

I think I've attached a picture of the old 17 tooth. Is it a terrible idea to use it from time to time were I to go on an extended highway trip? It doesn't look too worn to me, but this is my first sprocket change. It's a 530 sprocket, just like my new setup.

Question 2.

I broke the retaining clip with my new master link. I still had the one off my old chain, so I used it. It clips in nicely, and appears to be plenty secure, just looking for opinions on whether or not I'm a lunatic for doing this. Old chain was a different brand, and not x-ring.

thanks gang

17 tooth on a 550?

I bet you never get out of third gear. Get used to winding it out, you'll love the new ratios.

I wouldn't use the clip, and if I did it anyway I'd only use it until I found the proper clip, and I'd safety the Hell out of it.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Ya, the new ratios are pretty much blowing my mind. I won't be able to match my old top speed anymore, but that's fine ;-) I never really used 6th until I was doing 120 or so, but I think I'm going to be fine. There's enough wind noise when you're really moving that a higher rpm shouldn't be too big a deal.

As far as the clip, I'll see if I can source a new one locally.

Anyone have any tips for getting those suckers on?

Comment

It will actually be able to wind out 6th with the right ratios. These are not supposed to be slow bikes, but the wrong sprockets sure make it that way.

You will also get better fuel economy.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

That sprocket pictured does not look all that good......

or it's the picture and the shadows making the valleys look bigger than they should, but from what I see it looks worn.....

Comment

Working...
          X