GS850 carbs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 carbs.

Don James from JBM industries has asked me to measure the internal diameter of a Mikuni carburettor off a GS850 1981 model, to make sure I'm ordering the correct diaphargms, would GS Resources have an information page link showing the diaphargms dimensions or specifications.
    Don doesn't specific OEM numbers, he matchs the item up with what he has in stock. I'm trying not to spend $180 per diaphargms for the carby rebuild.
    Thanks in advance.

OK, here ya go.

The inner diameter is 60mm.

The outer edge of the diaphragm is 70mm.

EDIT: Where are you shopping that you find diaphragms for $180? They are $130.98 at Parts Outlaw.

Last edited by Steve; 06-18-2014, 06:58 AM.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Are you sure the diaphragms need to be replaced? I haven't done a ton of carb work, but the few I have done I reused the diaphragms without issue.

Are they prone to have issues that I am not aware of?

Comment

The carbs are getting a total rebuild, and thanks for the photo's guys.
        Jets, o- rings, gaskets, diaphagrm springs, float pins, you name it it's getting done.
        And I'm not taking any chances with the old rubbers, so new ones are going back in. The dollar prices vary from supplier to supplier and for a bit of rubber 70mm around the asking prices are totally outrageous. I've had Holley's on my cars before, on on the odd occasion I've had to do a carbie rebuild I could get the pumper diaphagrm for $25 US. So if I see a supplier (FBM Industires) doing them for a fraction of the price, and they are guaranteed, I'll jump at them.

Comment

While I can certainly appreciate your enthusiasm for a "total" rebuild, usually the only things necessary will be the o-rings and bowl gaskets.

Unless the diaphragms are torn or otherwise deformed, they will work just fine, there is no need to spend $500+ "just because I want to". By the same token, I have never seen the springs go bad, and there is no need to change the float pins, unless they are physically damaged.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
          X