Minimum Compression Spec? 79 1000e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minimum Compression Spec? 79 1000e

I have a mint 79 gs 1000e, and I have most of the bike sorted both cosmetically and mechanically. In a recent trip to a dealer (for the required annual NY State Inspection sticker), I asked them to check the compression--- only because I never have after a few years of owning this gem.

I was disappointed to hear the numbers. In cylinder order it was 110, 100,100,100. That sounds pretty low to me. The bike has 12000mis on the clock, runs very strong, and does not make any troubling noises. if you review my other posts you will see some manageable headaches with fuel/electrics, but they were solved through a combination of a) capable advice from the GSR wizards here, and b) some mostly capable techs once I started using the right service people. I dont wrench much myself for some life/time/family reasons.

AZR capably rebuilt and sold me a full bank of replacement carbs that are going on over the winter. A prior dealer CLAIMS to have adjusted the valves about 1500mis ago-- but I am not sure.

My take away is that I planned to keep riding this summer, but when the carbs get switched out over the long winter to have the valves adjusted again. Thoughts?
    1979 GS 1000e
    1967 Triumph Bonneville
    1986 Honda VFR 750
    2014 Indian Vintage
    2015 KLR 650
    2019 Yamaha Tracer GT
    2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
    2023 Triumph Tiger 1200
    And so on...

sigpic

Have you adjusted the valve clearances yet?
    Those numbers are typical for an engine with neglected valves.
    We get this every day.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

"Thoughts?" Sure.

How was the compression test done? It is supposed to be done on a warm engine, with the throttle held wide open, AFTER assuring proper valve clearances.

1. You THINK the valves are OK because a prior dealer claims they were done.
      2. You don't KNOW how the compression test was done.
      3. The manual calls for compression pressure of 128-184 psi, with a service minimum of 100 psi. If the test was done incorrectly, you should have higher numbers than what they reported.

Bottom line, I don't think you have anything to worry about at this point.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Dealer's job 1 is to sell new motorcycles. Keeping old ones on the road is in direct conflict with this. They are not all as honest as you might imagine.

At the very least check the valve clearances yourself and do the compression test yourself.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Ok, some good advice on one point. The dealer (in this case one with a proven track record and seasoned techs for my other bikes- indian, victory), was honest and said that they did the compression check cold because that is apparently the spec on their other lines. As you stated, they are supposed to be done on a warm engine, open throttle etc. Those things did not happen so the correct measurement would have been higher, perhaps a lot higher.
          Just in case I wasnt clear, the valves will get done over the winter as part of the carb swap. My question, more accurately put, was whether I should hesitate to keep riding it all summer. Given the responses here, and the fact that I put a long ride into it yesterday with lots of power and no problems, I am plan to put it out of my mind until the off season.
          1979 GS 1000e
          1967 Triumph Bonneville
          1986 Honda VFR 750
          2014 Indian Vintage
          2015 KLR 650
          2019 Yamaha Tracer GT
          2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
          2023 Triumph Tiger 1200
          And so on...

sigpic

Comment

If they did not open the throttle all the way then they got a bad or low reading 100psi with the throttle closed is pretty good compression. I do not understand why they would not open the throttle up during the test though. I do my bikes with the carbs off. With CV carbs you have to remove the carbs to get a true reading
            My stable
            84 GSX1100EFG-10.62 @ 125 mph 64'' W/B.
            85 GS1150-9.72@146mph stock W/B.
            88 GSXR1100-dragbike 9.18@139.92mph/5.68@118mph.
            98 Bandit 1200-9.38@146mph/6.02@121mph.
            90 Suzuki GS 1425cc FBG Pro Stock chassis 5.42@124mph
            06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph
            00 Honda elite 80 pit bike

Comment

Do the valves now or risk destroying the cylinder head and valves over the summer. Valve adjustment should NOT be neglected.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Just circling back to this long forgotten thread. Duly noted about not letting valve clearances get too bad. As planned, I had a trusted tech do some work on the bike over the winter. Specifically, a full replacement of the carbs (rebuilt's source from our own AZR), new intake boots, stainless screws... and a valve adjust with a new gasket and halfmoons. I even bought the specialized tool for the job. The good news- no valves needed re-shim work. Given the gentle treatment and low miles on this bike (10k), I am not surprised. Short ride says it is better than ever, even though it was never bad. Hoping for more sunshine soon to get more miles on to check for any fine tuning needs.
                1979 GS 1000e
                1967 Triumph Bonneville
                1986 Honda VFR 750
                2014 Indian Vintage
                2015 KLR 650
                2019 Yamaha Tracer GT
                2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
                2023 Triumph Tiger 1200
                And so on...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stetracer View Post
                  I do my bikes with the carbs off. With CV carbs you have to remove the carbs to get a true reading
                  I didn't know this. Would doing the compression test with the carbs on give a falsely low or falsely high compression reading?
                  1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                  1983 GS 1100 G
                  2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                  2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                  1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Working...
                  X