Odd Stuff Happening with 80 GS550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd Stuff Happening with 80 GS550

Let me begin by saying that I've swapped my intake o-rings and rebuilt my carb.

Also, one exhaust bolt on cylinder 1 is broken.

So here's what's happening:

It idles fine. Well, it seems fine. But I suspect that cylinder 1 isn't firing properly because when I pull the spark plug wire, the idle doesn't change dramatically.

When I pull any other spark plug wire, the bike cuts out.

If I give her a few revs and then pull cylinder 1 plug cable, the engine loses power and drops rpms.

So, at idle, it seems that cylinder 1 isn't combusting, but at speed, it does seem to be igniting.

Gas has been flowing out of the air box and carb vent hose on that side of the engine.

Thoughts on what this might be? Engine sounds fine and has decent power at speed, but the gas leaking thing ain't okay.

That butterfly is closed too much. youve gotta get in behind to the adjusters and get that one to,m open a little more...which will in turn make all the other come out of sync

Or you can remove the rack and see how much gap is on the others thatbarew firing and then make all them look like the ones that ARE firing properly. This will establish all 4 cylinders running and then you do the gauge carb sync after that.

Tap on the bowls to see if as float is stuck. If you remove the carbs from the bike to double check the butterfly settings, remove the bowls and move the floats. if they come anywhere near scraping the gaskets trim the gaskets back so theres no chance of a hung up float. its a common problem it seems.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
    X