Oil Temps Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Temps Again

I discovered this weekend that the oil in my racing hack gets at least 302 degrees in lap 4 and stays that way through the 6 lap race. The oil analysis reports don't seem to show any issues. My temp gauge maxes out at 302 so I don't know what the real temp is.

Does anyone know what the oil temp should be?

Last edited by Guest; 06-23-2014, 08:39 PM.

180-220 F is about right. 300+ doesn't surprise me, bet it's pushing 350 F or so.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

It would be interesting if you put a Series R/R in and see if your temps drop.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
        Series R/R is a what? sorry for being

Comment

Originally posted by Kyler View Post
          Series R/R is a what? sorry for being
          See my signature on GS Charging Health. There is a link right at the top on Compufire Series R/R. It lowers the temperature substantially on big block bikes.

Comment

Suckers bet to think an R/R is going to drop oil temp. Buyer beware...
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              Suckers bet to think an R/R is going to drop oil temp. Buyer beware...
              Quite harsh words there Ed. You can't give it a rest?

Comment

Yes Jim, a bit harsh on my part. I apologize.

Let me rephrase. R/R's do not affect oil temperature beyond, possibly, a very small amount. It doesn't make sense from a technical standpoint and I proved it already with back to back testing using different R/R's.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Comment

I discovered this weekend that the oil in my racing hack gets at least 302 degrees in lap 4 and stays that way through the 6 lap race.
                  Nice looking rig there, OP.

I assume you have an oil cooler? Can you put a bigger one in and/or improve the ducting to the one you have? What about better ducting to the engine itself?

As Nessism says, oil temps should be in the low to mid 200's F in a perfect world. Hot enough to burn off any moisture the oil picks up, but not so hot it roasts the oil and degrades its performance. OTOH, you can really abuse your oil if you run short races and change oil very frequently. Current 4 stroke MX bikes really hammer their oil but they seem fine as long as change intervals are short. I used to go 5hrs at most between changes on my RMZ-450.

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                  Does OP even have a charging system? It is a purpose built racing sidecar rig, I wouldn't be surprised if he just runs a total loss battery ignition.

That aside, how do the R/R and stator affect oil temperatures?

Mark
                  1982 GS1100E
                  1998 ZX-6R
                  2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
                    Nice looking rig there, OP.

I assume you have an oil cooler? Can you put a bigger one in and/or improve the ducting to the one you have? What about better ducting to the engine itself?

As Nessism says, oil temps should be in the low to mid 200's F in a perfect world. Hot enough to burn off any moisture the oil picks up, but not so hot it roasts the oil and degrades its performance. OTOH, you can really abuse your oil if you run short races and change oil very frequently. Current 4 stroke MX bikes really hammer their oil but they seem fine as long as change intervals are short. I used to go 5hrs at most between changes on my RMZ-450.
                    thanks - new paint job btw since that pic was taken

You can barely see the oil cooler in these two pictures. I'm thinking of making ducting to funnel all the air into the cooler. I'm also looking at bigger/higher flow coolers.

You are right on the MX bikes and frequent oil changes. KTM says to change the oil on my 450EXC after every weekend.

On this rig, I rarely go more than 2 race weekends on the oil and always get an analysis after every race weekend.

and thanks for the comments everyone - I'm going to try to get oil temps in the high 200s - I needed a target to shoot and and now I have one!

and one because I love my new logo

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                      Yes Jim, a bit harsh on my part. I apologize.

Let me rephrase. R/R's do not affect oil temperature beyond, possibly, a very small amount. It doesn't make sense from a technical standpoint and I proved it already with back to back testing using different R/R's.
                      R/R's do not affect oil temperature beyond, possibly, a very small amount.
                      Unbiased FACT: This unilateral statement has been proven false by several members here including myself.

It doesn't make sense from a technical standpoint
                      I AGREE, that it is a surprising result.

I proved it already with back to back testing using different R/R's
                      I AGREE again: It does not make any difference on your bike. That does not do anything to diminish the other results showing large drops in operating temperature. The results are motor specific and to date the only motors have been GS1100E's and es[pecially those with 1166 , 1229 and 1327's (Samsanite).

Comment

Does OP even have a charging system? It is a purpose built racing sidecar rig, I wouldn't be surprised if he just runs a total loss battery ignition.

That aside, how do the R/R and stator affect oil temperatures?

Mark
                        The OP is being coy about answering the question, so I would not press him. Maybe a PM?

There is documented evidence that several GS1100E 16V motors that are big block have reduced operating temperatures using a Series R/R. I know this first hand as well.

Obviously you will read Ed's unilateral conclusion (for all motorcycles ever built presumably) from his testing on an a single 8V GS1000.

Comment

You can barely see the oil cooler in these two pictures. I'm thinking of making ducting to funnel all the air into the cooler. I'm also looking at bigger/higher flow coolers.

Is that it on the monkey side, behind that open rectangular hole? Before you look for a bigger cooler definitely try ducting that properly to the cooler. It will make a huge difference to the amount of air getting to the cooler and may solve your issues all by itself. The duct needs to be sealed to the inlet and the cooler so that all the air coming in actually gets forced through the fins on the cooler. Also make sure the air exiting the cooler has somewhere to go without hitting a bunch of obstructions.

Mark
                          1982 GS1100E
                          1998 ZX-6R
                          2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Is that it on the monkey side, behind that open rectangular hole? Before you look for a bigger cooler definitely try ducting that properly to the cooler. It will make a huge difference to the amount of air getting to the cooler and may solve your issues all by itself. The duct needs to be sealed to the inlet and the cooler so that all the air coming in actually gets forced through the fins on the cooler. Also make sure the air exiting the cooler has somewhere to go without hitting a bunch of obstructions.

Mark
                            yes that is it. Behind it is the tank and the overflow catch bottle. There isn't a lot of room but the air can move over those and out the back. Not ideal.

I'm contemplating a new cooler that could be mounted in the opening or immediately behind it. That would make it easier to get air into and out of the cooler.

and on the R/R, the original stator and original '80 GS750 charging system is there. I have no idea if it works. The bike rarely runs more than 15 minutes at a time.

I'm going to focus on simple ducting for now and if I get some relief, then get a new cooler and mount it further forward.

again, thanks everybody!

Comment

yes that is it. Behind it is the tank and the overflow catch bottle. There isn't a lot of room but the air can move over those and out the back. Not ideal.
                              No, it isn't. Unless ducted properly the incoming air will simply try to go around the cooler because that is the path of least resistance. 15 minutes with some scrap coroplast (the corrugated plastic used for election signs and the like) and some duct tape would probably get you a workable duct to try before you do anything else. I bet you can cut the inlet hole size by 2/3 if you put a sealed duct in to force the air through the cooler.

Ideally the inlet hole area is quite a bit smaller than the cooler area and the ducting smoothly expands from the inlet out to the cooler. This slows the air down and lets it recover pressure before passing through the cooler fins, then the exhaust air should be ducted smoothly out into a low pressure zone. Done really well it results in a low temperature jet engine that actually produces a bit of thrust. I understand that F1 cars have close to zero cooling drag because the thrust offsets the drag of forcing the air through the radiators.

Light aircraft cool a couple hundred horsepower with less inlet area than you have there because they carefully duct the air in and force it through jackets that make it go through the engine cooling fins. You can use the same approach to improve your system as well. I would make your test duct up to go over top of the overflow bottle and would just block off the portion of the inlet hole that is in front of the bottle. From what I see in the pic it looks like that would leave you about 3/4 of the inlet area to feed the cooler, which should be way more than you need.

PM me if you want to discuss details off forum, or we can keep going here if you like.

Mark
                              Last edited by mmattockx; 06-24-2014, 07:17 PM.
                              1982 GS1100E
                              1998 ZX-6R
                              2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Working...
                              X