Valve Adjustment, Need Advice ASAP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
    Crank is in the wrong spot. Rotate engine clockwise and line up the 1-4 T mark (to the left of current position).

Torque the cam caps then do the head, all nuts (think there is 16 or something like that. Be sure to back off the nut until it cracks loose before making it up and tightening. Some PB Blaster on the nuts before you do the head is greatly advised.
    That did it! #1 arrow is lined up with the head and 17 pins between #2 and #3. Thanks for all the help guys

Comment

Originally posted by huntb View Post
      Also, are there 8 headbolts (4 in the middle, 4 on the outside) or justthe 4 in the middle?
      There are TWELVE headbolts.

Here ya go, straight from the factory manual:

Oh, I gave you the wrong torque spec.

I am used to doing 850 and 1000 head bolts, I forgot the 650 has smaller bolts. Torque them to 17.5-19.0 lb-ft, as shown.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Oh wow I'm glad I didn't strip one of those because I torqued them to 27lb-ft. Should I redo them or not worry about it?

So I have good news and bad news from this ordeal:

Good news: Timing checked out good, got my valve clearances checked (only two valves were in spec)

Bad news: When I re-installed the valve cover I stripped one of the bolt holes out. PO must have over tightened them before me when he changed the head gasket because I hardly put any force on it (was using a flex shaft socket screw driver). Can anyone point me in the direction of fixing this? Heli-coil? If so what kit should I get? Its the outer rear right side bolt. All of the others seated fine

Thanks, Ben

Comment

Are you sure you have the right bolt in there?

There are 14 bolts that are M6x40 and three that are M6x45. Not sure which one is supposed to be in that hole, but if you have one of the short ones there and it's supposed to be a longer one, it would easily strip the one or two threads that it happened to engage.

Yes, a Heli-Coil will do a great job of repairing a stripped hole.

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

1/4-20 SAE will go right in and cut it's own threads.
            some say potato some say patato...
            more comments to come

yes dowl holes take the longer bolts...

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
              1/4-20 SAE will go right in and cut it's own threads.
              some say potato some say patato...
              more comments to come
              And here comes one of those comments ...
              PLEASE don't mix SAE hardware into the bike.

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
              yes dowl holes take the longer bolts...
              That would be the right hole, but I did not see any dowels in the parts fiche.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Are you sure you have the right bolt in there?

There are 14 bolts that are M6x40 and three that are M6x45. Not sure which one is supposed to be in that hole, but if you have one of the short ones there and it's supposed to be a longer one, it would easily strip the one or two threads that it happened to engage.

Yes, a Heli-Coil will do a great job of repairing a stripped hole.

14 + 3 only adds up to 17. Maybe I don't need this one woo!

Here is a pic of the culprit. But you're right, it is only one of the 40mm ones. Let's consult the factory manual where those shorties need to go... Clearly I have a lot of learning to do about these old bikes. Oh and PS, thanks for the spreadsheet, it's perfect

Comment

steve did not disappoint..hehe
                  with the VC sitting in place...
                  drop all the bolts into each hole.
                  if they are correct then you should have similar thread amounts showing.
                  if not,
                  swap till you do.

Comment

Good news guys. I took out every one of those bolts, compared it to my 40mm one I had out, and reinstalled it if it was 40mm. To my surprise I only found ONE bolt that was 45mm... It was the third to last one I checked too, so yes I pulled all 17 and replaced them (not including the one I already had out).

I put the 45mm one in the hole I had stripped and it bit wonderfully. I'll keep an eye on it and go pickup three more of those 45mm bolts (although I only saw two holes with dowels so maybe I only need 1 more)

Comment

Working...
                    X