Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS650 piston rings, ebay aftermarket replacements?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chuck78 View Post
    ...there will be small metal shavings in the oil during the break in procedure. change oil after about 70 miles, then you can ride her for a little bit, and then I generally try to change the oil again in about 250 or 350 miles.
    Assuming you are running a proper oil filter, changing the oil at low mileage won't do a whole lot. The stock paper filter removes particulate matter down to the low single digit micron level.

I like that Hasting's break in method. Seems about right to me anyway. My method is to just ride the bike around town in a spirited fashion. Accelerate away from stops assertively, but nothing crazy. Progressively increase ring load as mileage accumulates. That's all. Keep it simple.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Super View Post
      Hey Chuck. Not sure this will help you any but these are the exact same rings I bought to put in my 550/650 project. They went on just fine and slid into the cylinders fine too. And I did hone the cylinders. However, I haven't gotten to break them in yet.
      Hey Super, so I took a look closer at these aftermarket piston rings and noticed that they only have a company logo stamped on the actual rings (HY). The manual for the bike says that the pistons should have either an "N" or "R" stamped on them to designate which way is up. Did you just install these rings with the logo facing upward?

Also for me both rings are about the same color but the top one has a more shiny edge where it contacts with the bore, which is also different from what the manual says. The middle ring also seems to be a rectangular cross section and not tapered like the manual states, but i checked the old middle rings and they are also rectangular in cross section...

Other than that they have good end gap clearances in the bore.
      Last edited by Guest; 02-05-2016, 03:11 PM.

Comment

I've purchased the cruizinimage 850 standed rings and will be doing a full write up in the projects section soon,
        I've measured the ring end gap and they are right on spec with new freshly honed 850 cylinder's. Time will tell this summer but I will be doing a proper break in and multiple compression test's / leak down test's to see how well they seal.

here is a listing for the 650 ones,

And yes, I know what you pay for compared to OEM rings

Comment

Originally posted by one_civic View Post
          I've purchased the cruizinimage 850 standed rings and will be doing a full write up in the projects section soon,
          I've measured the ring end gap and they are right on spec with new freshly honed 850 cylinder's. Time will tell this summer but I will be doing a proper break in and multiple compression test's / leak down test's to see how well they seal.

here is a listing for the 650 ones,

And yes, I know what you pay for compared to OEM rings
          Looking forward to your review. And don't forget to check clearance between the ring and the groove to be sure the rings are the proper thickness.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Will do Nessium ,

just an FYI for everyone, the cruizinimage rings were shipped from Japan, don't know if they were manufactured there,

but like I said,

You get what you pay for and I am well aware that I may have to replace them and purchase OEM if they do not seal, unfortunately I could not find any other aftermarket rings for the 850, ( NPR, Hastings, etc.) after searching the internet and settled on these ones.
            Last edited by Guest; 02-06-2016, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JJ View Post
              Ummmmm.... to me, the term "break-in" implies a freshly rebuilt engine, or at the very least, freshly honed, round cylinders along with new rings. Otherwise, you aren't breaking in anything.
              Yes you are. Old rings in a freshly honed cylinder will definitely seal better after doing something like the mototune method. I have done this a few times, slapped a crappy top end on to test a transmission before doing a big bore, or throw an engine together for a friend who had no money at all for an engine, or just to get one of my bikes by until I had time to do a proper rebuild. One low miles 750 just had no compression, very little power, it would only go about 70mph or so. Using the kickstarter you couldn't feel any compression at all. I figured it was originally broken in way too easy. Took it apart, nothing wrong inside that could be measured, no wear on the rings or anything. Honed the cylinders and put it back together. Compression isn't all that great at first, not much power, but after blasting on the throttle a while it seals up, gains power, compression test is much better. I don't know why it works but sometimes it does.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by one_civic View Post
                just an FYI for everyone, the cruizinimage rings were shipped from Japan, don't know if they were manufactured there,

unfortunately I could not find any other aftermarket rings for the 850, ( NPR, Hastings, etc.).
                Good to know, I had read of those cruizinimage rings on here before actually, positive comments I believe.

For 850 rings, I would imagine the Wiseco rings in the gs750-844cc kit may likely be the same spec, wouldn't they? Or are they different thicknesses etc?

One great thing NZ Ian aka 49er pointed out to me about the 850 (and all 1st gen/2v GS550/650/750/850), the design really helps prolong bore&piston life:

Originally posted by 49er
                The 850 bores don’t wear. Their generous 2.8-1 rod ratio ensures this.
                '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                '79 GS425stock
                PROJECTS:
                '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

One great thing NZ Ian aka 49er pointed out to me about the 850 (and all 1st gen/2v GS550/650/750/850), the design really helps prolong bore&piston life:
                  How do you mean?

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    Originally posted by Chuck78

Originally posted by 49er
                    The 850 bores don’t wear. Their generous 2.8-1 rod ratio ensures this.
                    How do you mean?
                    Meaning that these engines have a shorter stroke and long-ish rods so that there is minimal side loading on the piston to bore contact. The pistons have minimal sideways pressure/friction, hence there is far less wear generated on the sides of the bores.

I would imagine you could potentially get much much longer life/higher mileage out of these vs a long stroke GS1000 if you were doing a lot of long haul trips and keeping up on proper maintenance, and always letting the bike warm up properly before hammering it. The GS850 does have a reputation as a bulletproof touring bike...
                    '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                    '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                    '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                    '79 GS425stock
                    PROJECTS:
                    '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                    '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                    '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                    '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                    '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Good to know, I had read of those cruizinimage rings on here before actually, positive comments I believe.

For 850 rings, I would imagine the Wiseco rings in the gs750-844cc kit may likely be the same spec, wouldn't they? Or are they different thicknesses etc?

correct me if I'm wrong but most motorcycle engines are either Square or Over Square meaning larger bore, smaller stroke = higher redline's without as much major and minor thrust side cylinder wear.

As far as the wiseco 850 rings being used instead of OEM or cheap aftermarket Cruizinimage ones, pretty sure the the piston ring lands would be thicker / deeper and different to help with the increased compression ratio the wiseco 844 BB kit.
                      Last edited by Guest; 02-06-2016, 12:12 PM.

Comment

I just measured the 850 crusinimage rings, Basscliff doesn't seem to have a 2v 850 service manual that I can compare my findings too? Anyone have a PDF. manual or a link to one?

Cheers

Darren

Comment

I'm sure they are identical to 750 rings as far as ring groove dimensions and such.

Comment

If you could confirm this tkent, I can share my measured specs and then compare then to the FSM

Comment

Just checked, the 750 FSM doesn't give detailed specs for the rings, I have a Clymer manual that I can compare their specs to

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

Crusinimage ebay 850 rings

1st and 2nd compression ring,

Thickness

both 0.046" or 1.18mm

End gaps,

both 0.015" or 0.381mm

Width,

1st ring 0.1095" or 2.78mm
                                2nd ring 0.107" or 2.76mm

These measurement's were consistent with all 4 ring sets and were all measured in the same freshly de-glazed 850 cylinder, (850 cylinder professionally deglazed on a sunnen honing machine) and are taken around 10mm from bottom of the cylinder,

When I get my other parts back from the machine shop I will be doing a thorough Thread in the Projects section, and will document everything

Please note that the ring width is thicker and I do not have specs for the 850, I do not have a bore gauge to have precise measurement's of the bore and I neither have feeler gauges thin enough to measure Ring to Groove Clearance,

I will ask my machinist to take these measurements next time I'm there.
                                Last edited by Guest; 02-06-2016, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X