1150 tranny questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1150 tranny questions

so are these beasts bullet proof overall.
    Can one feel OK about buying on provided owner does a brisk run through all gears in front of you?

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
    so are these beasts bullet proof overall.
    Can one feel OK about buying on provided owner does a brisk run through all gears in front of you?
    1150's are pretty bullet proof, but that also means they have been subject to abuse. 2nd gear would be my biggest concern. Plus the problem occurs mainly under hard pull.

If the guy shifts into a 2nd gear wheelie you are probably OK.

Comment

never had a bad 2nd gear but the basket's are not very happy when left stock.

Comment

From all I've read, with a few bits shored up, these things are nearly indestructible.
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
          From all I've read, with a few bits shored up, these things are nearly indestructible.
          Shored up? Or do you mean "under cut"?

Comment

By shored up, I mean reinforced, such as the clutch basket. In hardcore applications, I suppose I would extend that to undercutting the gears, yes, but I simply meant "strengthened."
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
              By shored up, I mean reinforced, such as the clutch basket. In hardcore applications, I suppose I would extend that to undercutting the gears, yes, but I simply meant "strengthened."
              Yes clutch baskets are common issue with all the big block gs. It comes from making a tonne of power

I'm not sure what differences there are between the 1100 and 1150 trans but the 1100 gears can get abused. Mine is mature you might say but silky smooth like no Ducati clunker you will ever ride. I'm sure your 1150 is the same.
              Last edited by posplayr; 06-27-2014, 01:10 AM.

Comment

My 1150 has one of the nicest gearboxes of any bike I've ridden. Better than the VMax by a huge amount, and far better than any 1980's Honda I've ridden.
                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

anytime the cases are a part a back cut is just smart..depending on application main studs is a good idea also.
                  keeps your main saddles from getting those bumps in them

hehe
                  plus it gives you ladies more stuff to put into your sig at the bottom of your post..hahaahha
                  Last edited by blowerbike; 06-27-2014, 01:18 AM. Reason: hehe

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                    anytime the cases are a part a back cut is just smart..depending on application main studs is a good idea also.
                    keeps your main saddles from getting those bumps in them

hehe
                    plus it gives you ladies more stuff to put into your sig at the bottom of your post..hahaahha
                    Now you tell me after I sold that nice back cut trans

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                      Now you tell me after I sold that nice back cut trans
                      JP can do you one in the off season...
                      i stopped sending machine work/trans ect..his way as he is swamped on cranks this time of the year.

Comment

Yeah, JP did one for me this time last year. My 3rd gear was popping out at a track day.
                        I had a spare "supposedly" 1150 trans, but it turned out to be a 1100 trans. The input shaft is shorter than a 1150 trans, and different bearing widths need to be used. My APE clutch nut is barely flush with the end of the input shaft.

No missed shifts after Pearson did the undercut, but sometimes the dogs are too far gone to undercut. Luckily the guy I bought the used transmission from, included extra gears.
                        GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

1100/1150 will work fine in one another except for the output shaft bearing/seal and the small difference in input shaft length you mentioned.

Comment

Hey Terry, do you know the input shaft lengths? I have about 60 transmissions & need to start sorting them.
                            Thanks, Ray.

Comment

i could get a measurement from one of my 1100's.
                              i have no 1150 trans at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X