No announcement yet.

Drip drip...what to do now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helicoiling...to drill out a thread and add an insert, where a previously broken bolt was before.

It's possible that a PO drilled out that valve cover bolt and cracked the head in that spot.

I haven't worked that much with JB Weld, but I can say that the times that I have, I found the working area needed to be clean and dry to get a proper bond. Others may have a different experience.
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

All the bolts on the front and rear end of the engine look fine and look to be stock bolts.

Comment

You can't tell if there's a heli coil by looking at the bolt. The helicoil is installed down in the head to serve as threads.

Comment

Oh, I see. Yea..not sure about that. I don't see any leaks around any bolts or anywhere for that matter except where the picures indicate. Not sure what to do.

Comment

You're not going to fix it with JB Weld.

There's no way to tell you exactly how to fix it because you still haven't pinpointed the source of the leak. Without this information, it's just a series of guesses. We've seen a lot of leaks around here...

Clean the engine THOROUGHLY.

Dry the engine THOROUGHLY.

Visit Wally World and buy a can of the cheapest athlete's foot/jock itch powder you can find.

Coat the engine in the suspect area with a nice coat of powder.

Get in position to watch. Have someone start the bike.

You'll probably see the seep start in just a few seconds.

Do this outside -- the powder stinks.

Exhibit "A" (also why Vesrah gasket kits suck -- the cheap imitation o-ring inside this area literally fell apart when subjected to heat and oil).

Just to illustrate the astonishing mobility of oil, the only evidence of this leak was a very slow drip from the very bottom of the stator cover. The oil was able to make its way along the seam between the case and the stator cover invisibly, then accumulate and drip off the bottom. Most people would have replaced the stator gasket about 11 times before looking elsewhere... I grabbed the plain label crotch rot powder and pinpointed the actual problem. Man, I wish it had been only a stator cover gasket.
            Last edited by bwringer; 07-21-2014, 08:26 PM.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

That looks like a great idea. I will do that this week, once I get the carb problem taken care of. I have a list pretty much. Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X