• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shim clearance..all but one zero

History first.
    The bike is a 1979 GS1000EN with 37K miles
    Sat for 17 years with out turning a wheel
    I have cleaned and rebuilt carbs..new oil and filter twice (first time after 5 miles), maybe covered 1 mile since second change...in total the bike has covered about 5 to 6 miles since it was recovered from it's 17 year holiday
    New clutch plates
    all the brakes rebuilt..new tyres etc

I thought I better get in and check the shim/valve clearance before I run it anymore.here are the results, NB most of them did not have size marked up on them so are micrometer readings

Exhaust
    1 zero clearance, shim 2.85
    2 0.038 clearance, shim 2.83
    3 zero clearance, shim 2.85
    4 zero clearance, shim 2.85

Inlet
    1 zero clearance, shim 2.85
    2 zero clearance, shim 2.79
    3 <0.038 clearance (smallest feeler I had and is went in just), shim 2.71
    4 zero clearance, shim 2.85

There does not appear to be any discolouring of equipment in and around the cams and buckets so I would like to think there has been no damage...also the bike runs sweet and has no power or smoking issues.

I have just ordered up some smaller shims, 225/235/245/&260 to use for getting measurements for all the valves. I managed to get all of these for free and a new set of spark plugs and a few other bits and peices from a voucher ebay sent me because of all hassle they caused with all the password troubles fom a few weeks back...so a winner there!

If anyone has any advice on anything I should be looking at because of almost all the clearances being zero..then feel free to let me know..always appreciated

Not really; all you can do is get the clearances right, then check compressions to see what the reality is. Take it from there - you might have scorched valves, stuck rings or glazed bores, but with the clearances right at least you know where you're starting from.
    Chances are you got away with it, and some hard running will loosen it up again.
    ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I'm a bit confused at the shim sizes you've ordered. I would have thought you would have ordered one (or 2) size (.05mm) smaller, i.e. 2.80 mm & 2.65mm to achieve clearances.

cg
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g
      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Because there is no clearance what so ever I have no idea where to start so I thought go small and this will give me a space I can measure exactly what is needed..and I got the shims for free...only ones available that were smaller than what I already have..once I'm done with them I'll move them on..

Comment

Originally posted by greenbraes View Post
          Because there is no clearance what so ever I have no idea where to start so I thought go small and this will give me a space I can measure exactly what is needed..and I got the shims for free...only ones available that were smaller than what I already have..once I'm done with them I'll move them on..

I doubt you'll need much smaller than 2.60 mm, but you never know.

cg
          sigpic
          83 GS1100g
          2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

3 <0.038 clearance (smallest feeler I had and is went in just), shim 2.71
            Just so you don't get all confuzzled later, you do NOT have a " 0.038 feeler", you have a "0.0015 inch feeler".

You have both markings on the feeler, but they are made to INCH specifications and have the metric APPROXIMATIONS printed on them.

I will also question the sizes that you got. You could have gotten a very good idea what you need if you took the 2.70 shim from IN3, put a quarter in its place, and move it from place to place to see what clearance you had. Since that 2.70 is right at the minimum clearance, a 2.65 in its place would do just fine, you will need 2.70s to 2.80s for the rest of them.

This is where I will usually invite you to take advantage of the invitation in my sig.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

My gs has 40k on it, and all the shims after getting a correct valve adjustment are in the 260-265 range. I doubt you'll use much smaller than that. If you can spin the shim when it's in the adjustment position, it's at least not binding with absolutely no clearance. I read the specs wrong and had to revisit. Don't confuse the metric and standard readings.

Comment

I forgot to mention that I could spin all the shims with zero clearance...so at least things are not to tight

thanks for the help guys...just have to wait for shims to come

Comment

I forgot to mention that I could spin all the shims with zero clearance...so at least things are not to tight

thanks for the help guys...just have to wait for shims to come

When Steve says 'use a quarter', you'll find a 2p piece does the job on this side of the pond. I keep a stock of the old UK and Irish 2p pieces as none of the Euro coins are big enough.
                  ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                    When Steve says 'use a quarter', you'll find a 2p piece does the job on this side of the pond.
                    I think that when I posted that, "which side of the pond" had not yet been ascertained.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

new shims arrived and ordered up what is needed

2.65 x 3
                      2.70 x 3
                      2.75 x 1

have to go back to work for 2 weeks so will be sorted when I get home...hopefully ready to get some miles onto it then..as lone as it is sunny

Comment

Working...
                      X