80 /81/82 1100 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80 /81/82 1100 ?

ok guys, is there any or what is the different in the 80/81/82 1100E motor ?

Originally posted by wildeye View Post
    ok guys, is there any or what is the different in the 80/81/82 1100E motor ?
    For '82, they improved the machining of the valve seats, as there were quite a few instances of some bikes being quicker than others.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

From the July 1982 Cycle World:
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

The 80 & 81 used a 20 bolt valve cover & 82 went to a 24 bolt for better sealing.
        Ray.

Comment

The 80/81/82 are all the same, non welded crank.

Comment

small taper crank on 80-82 CAUTION Will Robinson!!!

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
              The 80/81/82 are all the same, non welded crank.
              PARTLY true. They used different rods too.
              Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                small taper crank on 80-82 CAUTION Will Robinson!!!
                May I ask at what power level does this 'small' end become a factor?

Stock?

Stock and ridden too harshly?

Bigger displacement?

Race only?

Is it a factor of RPM, shock to crank or severe service like a big block?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Ecklund View Post
                  May I ask at what power level does this 'small' end become a factor?

Stock?

Stock and ridden too harshly?

Bigger displacement?

Race only?

Is it a factor of RPM, shock to crank or severe service like a big block?

Thanks
                  Interested in that myself.

Of course, nothing to do with the engine, the '82s just look so much better. And the '83s? Be still my heart.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                    PARTLY true. They used different rods too.
                    Ray.
                    and valve covers, and valve cover gaskets, and breather covers, and breather cover gaskets, and wire breather mesh,.......

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                      Interested in that myself.

Of course, nothing to do with the engine, the '82s just look so much better. And the '83s? Be still my heart.
                      based on the empirical evidence, it is hit and miss if you drive on the street. Several original owners can atest to having Suzuki pay for replacement cranks.

Maybe yours as well.

Racing it is more conclusive. Don't do it.

Comment

well lot of info , so 82 down ride if like you are going to church lol , but cases and trans are good /.. ,

Comment

Originally posted by wildeye View Post
                          well lot of info , so 82 down ride if like you are going to church lol , but cases and trans are good /.. ,
                          The Church of the Jap Big Four. I worship there almost every day. I plan on going to services later tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                            based on the empirical evidence, it is hit and miss if you drive on the street. Several original owners can atest to having Suzuki pay for replacement cranks.

Maybe yours as well.

Racing it is more conclusive. Don't do it.
                            I had seen this about the non-welded crank. From some comments it appeared like a stock crank might self damage with very little assistance from the operator.

But this small end thing. Is this on the same level as the crank welding or is is more a severe service issue?

Comment

Originally posted by Ecklund View Post
                              I had seen this about the non-welded crank. From some comments it appeared like a stock crank might self damage with very little assistance from the operator.

But this small end thing. Is this on the same level as the crank welding or is is more a severe service issue?
                              i have had way to many 80-82 pass through me that had damage to the crank taper.
                              this goes for the 83 1100 katana also...yes they have a small taper and bastard size rotor/stator even though the engine in an 83 and black.
                              worry more about the taper than the twisting IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X