80 /81/82 1100 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ecklund View Post
    I had seen this about the non-welded crank.

But this small end thing. Is this on the same level as the crank welding or is is more a severe service issue?
    Maybe some one can explain it so a non-mechanic like myself can understand.

I think I understand the non-welded crank. The hole is heated, the part going in is cooled. Is that correct?

But this "small end" thing, I have no idea what's going on there.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
      Maybe some one can explain it so a non-mechanic like myself can understand.

I think I understand the non-welded crank. The hole is heated, the part going in is cooled. Is that correct?

But this "small end" thing, I have no idea what's going on there.
      Having a small ended crank is no way to go through life... just sayin.

Comment

WHO'S HOLE IS HEATED??
        you have my interest now

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
          i have had way to many 80-82 pass through me that had damage to the crank taper.
          this goes for the 83 1100 katana also...yes they have a small taper and bastard size rotor/stator even though the engine in an 83 and black.
          worry more about the taper than the twisting IMO.
          Well you are close to starting a run of black motors.

Comment

that's my plan..i have been secretly stock piling black 1100 engines and when the time is right...hehehe

Comment

but not all black motors lol

Comment

i have had way to many 80-82 pass through me that had damage to the crank taper.
                this goes for the 83 1100 katana also...yes they have a small taper and bastard size rotor/stator even though the engine in an 83 and black.
                worry more about the taper than the twisting IMO.
                I bought a modified 1150 block with 1327 pistons. At the same time I had the chance to buy a big end crank with the correct parts to use in my 1100 case. I passed as I didn't know the small end was such an issue.

After hearing that the small end is even more of a weak point than the non-welded crank I wish I had picked up the big end crank.

Well, when I get back on the job I'll have to add a big end crank to the list...

As I'll have to get into the cases anyway I'd like to correct/upgrade any obvious weaknesses.

Thanks for the info...
                Last edited by Guest; 07-03-2014, 08:45 PM.

Comment

that's my plan..i have been secretly stock piling black 1100 engines and when the time is right...hehehe
                  I have 32 complete black motors, 14 83 1100 motors & 18 1150 motors. Plus enough parts to build at least 15 more complete motors. Anyone want 1150 heads, or built 1100 heads? I build to suit your combination.
                  Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                    I have 32 complete black motors, 14 83 1100 motors & 18 1150 motors. Plus enough parts to build at least 15 more complete motors. Anyone want 1150 heads, or built 1100 heads? I build to suit your combination.
                    Ray.
                    parts whore

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                      parts whore
                      You sound JEALOUS!!
                      Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                        You sound JEALOUS!!
                        Ray.
                        Proud parts whore

Comment

At least he is on our side. And you never know when you might need a good black motor.
                          Curt
                          sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

Working...
                          X