Magneto Cover pins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magneto Cover pins

After replacing the RR and stator (Electro-Sport)on an 82 GS650G I've got an oil leak from the cover. Bottom line question is how many pins are there? There's one pin at the location of the bolt at the 9 o'clock position. At 6 o'clock there's an opening on the engine side that looks like there could be a second one. There's a smaller hole in the gasket and cover at that position, adjacent to the actual bolt. Online parts diagram doesn't appear to show one here.

I initially suspected my home-made gasket, now it's happening with a new one from the dealer. I used a good amount of gasket sealer (before reading through posts saying it's not needed). After test ride I was able to tighten some of the bolts but I'm afraid to go any further.

Thanks for any advice. I've really gotten alot of good information from this site which convinced me also to rebuild the carbs over the winter.

Rod in Wethersfield CT.

There are supposed to be two dowel pins. If you look on the fiche for the crankcase cover, you'll see them.

Also, you may want to post future technical questions in the appropriate subforum, such as "4 Cylinder Engine/Drivetrain/Clutch". Scroll down a bit more after you log in.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks for the response bwinger. I looked at the parts diagram again and the only other pin I see looks to be for the transmission cover. But it turns out I used the middle sized bolt where a short one was needed. Once I corrected this problem the oil drip stopped.

Comment

Working...
      X