Clutch drag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch drag

I'm getting just a little bit of clutch drag on the '78 GS1000 I just bought. It is adjusted properly in that the friction zone is at almost full handle release, yet the handle all the way in will sometimes still drag. Maybe it only happens when cold, I'm not sure yet.

I'm planning on swapping my new clutch disc stack from the '79 onto this '78 anyway, but I'm wondering what is causing the clutch drag? It would have to be the discs sticking together or nicks in the basket holding them together, right? Maybe the wrong oil is causing them to stick together? The previous owner said he ran synthetic.

Thanks,

-Matt

Have you ridden it yet?

If the bike has been sitting for a while, the plates will stick together. Once you pop it into first (with the brakes applied), it frees up in a hurry.

If it has been running, it's normal for there to be some drag. It shouldn't carry you away at a red light, but the wheel will definitely turn if it's on the center stand.
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

wrong oil, warped or stuck together plates or ridges worn in the basket is the usual suspects
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Does it have an aftermarket clutch cable? The Motion Pro cable sheath is wimpy and compresses a lot more in use.
        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll let you know what I find when I drain the oil and pull the clutch stack out. My '79 with the new Suzuki clutch stack and Rotella 15w-40 doesn't drag at all. But I plan on putting the '79 clutch in the '78 and vice versa, so I'd like to clean/inspect the discs, file the basket nicks, and see if I can get a no-drag clutch on both bikes.

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
            The Motion Pro cable sheath is wimpy and compresses a lot more in use.
            Binding the cable?
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I've got the same issue except mine will actually stall out when I shift to first if I have no throttle. I've replaced the cable and done everything possible to adjust it. Time to open the case and have a look inside

Comment

Lemonshindig, did you ever get rid of the drag. I'm having similar problems with my 850.

Comment

Working...
                X