Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rattle noise

Please see the video- hear the noise.

Side note, I synced the carbs dead-on yesterday, and they were off a bit today even after I let it warm up completely. So I synced them again, and we'll see where they're at tomorrow.

-Matt

The video appears to show the CarbTune laying flat on the seat. That won't work, it has to be hanging vertically so the bars can settle under the weight of gravity. Is that how you had it when syncing? Both times?

Also, it's very hard to diagnose engine noises through a video. The sound quality is just not there. Best bet is to isolate it beyond a shadow of a doubt to a particular area of the engine and then ask for likely causes. (Or just start pulling covers and inspecting the whole works.)
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Agree it is tough to tell but could it be a clutch rattle?
      Does it change when in gear or with the clutch engaged?
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I *think* the noise is coming from the exhaust side of the head. Valve noise, maybe. But it is hard to tell where it is coming from because my kerker is pretty loud. I haven't had any luck pinpointing it with a screwdriver stethoscope.

This is in neutral with the clutch out. I will pull the clutch in, put it in gear, etc, and see if I notice a difference.

I synced the carbs with the carbtune vertical. It was just resting on the seat.

Comment

Hey there lemon!

Mine makes the exact same noise! There's another gentleman around here who posted a video and identified it as clutch rattle. Apparently there's a bolt over the clutch basket that will wiggle itself loose over time.

Let me ask: when the bike is running, do you hear it loud-and-clear with the oil fill cap removed?

I haven't broken into the clutch assembly just yet to fix mine, but when I do, I'll report back as to whether or not that worked.

Comment

The clutch and neutral vs gear makes no difference.

Comment

Working...
            X