6-speed 650E??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6-speed 650E??

I have a 650E and the shift indicator has provisions for 6 gears (you can see 1-6 when the sun hits it right). Driving it and trying to upshift from 5th doesn't light up the #6 indicator (it just goes blank like a bulb is burnt out) but it definitely feels like a shift and the RPM's drop slightly. Everything I've read says it's a 5-speed but did they make the 650E in a 6 speed?

No, Suzuki never made one, but several members here have.

Start with a 550, replace the pistons and cylinders with 650 items, you will end up with a six-speed 650.

Suzuki did a LOT of "parts bin engineering", and used that same gear indicator on all the larger bikes, too.
    As far as I know, the 550 was the largest GS to have a six-speed (from the factory).

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      No, Suzuki never made one, but several members here have.

Start with a 550, replace the pistons and cylinders with 650 items, you will end up with a six-speed 650.

Suzuki did a LOT of "parts bin engineering", and used that same gear indicator on all the larger bikes, too.
      As far as I know, the 550 was the largest GS to have a six-speed (from the factory).

Well I wonder why when I try to upshift from 5th the "5" light turns off and stays off

Comment

Magic. Split the cases and look inside, I'll bet you ten bucks you will find five sets of gears.
        Last edited by tkent02; 07-21-2014, 01:44 PM.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          Magic. Split the cases and look inside, I'll bet you ten bucks you will find five sets of gears.
          I think I'll just believe that it's magic...

Comment

I have a lot of recent experience with this since I just had to crack my GS wide open for some repairs (and it's still that way). When you take the swing-arm off, there will be a little gnome who falls out and tries to hide. If you're quick enough, you can catch him and then ask him what he does. If you ask him real nice, he'll put in the extra work and do six gears for you. If not, he just does what his job says and gives you five.

Comment

Working...
            X