X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
    i make a funny...lol
    i'm good...there's a few good head building guys local to me
    Do you know a guy name Gary Dye he is a good head builder in Ohio he does the heads for Dale Walker Holeshot Preformance now. Not quite as good as me but I am the best. Did I mention I got a big ego too.
    My stable
    84 GSX1100EFG-10.62 @ 125 mph 64'' W/B.
    85 GS1150-9.72@146mph stock W/B.
    88 GSXR1100-dragbike 9.18@139.92mph/5.68@118mph.
    98 Bandit 1200-9.38@146mph/6.02@121mph.
    90 Suzuki GS 1425cc FBG Pro Stock chassis 5.42@124mph
    06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph
    00 Honda elite 80 pit bike

Comment

There was a guy by the name of Ray Belluci that did it. I talked to him about it when I first got our balancer. All I remember is it was a PITA to do, so I decided against it and stuck with plain bearing cranks.
      Speed Merchant
      http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Originally posted by stetracer View Post
        Do you know a guy name Gary Dye he is a good head builder in Ohio he does the heads for Dale Walker Holeshot Preformance now. Not quite as good as me but I am the best. Did I mention I got a big ego too.
        yes the name is familiar but i have never met the man.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
          yes the name is familiar but i have never met the man.
          Really nice guy and good head builder
          My stable
          06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph

Comment

The 1150 crank isn't really "welded", it has spot welds on it to keep the throws from shifting. When you get a Falicon or comparable job done they weld completely around the join between the throws and the crank pins. The older GS motors didn't even have that. I still think making sure you have enough clean oil that doesn't get too hot is the real problem with this and most oil cooled motors. I sure would like just a little less "buzz in the bars" though, since my 1150 is so supple in other rev ranges.

Comment

Originally posted by spirit View Post
              The 1150 crank isn't really "welded", it has spot welds on it to keep the throws from shifting. When you get a Falicon or comparable job done they weld completely around the join between the throws and the crank pins. The older GS motors didn't even have that. I still think making sure you have enough clean oil that doesn't get too hot is the real problem with this and most oil cooled motors. I sure would like just a little less "buzz in the bars" though, since my 1150 is so supple in other rev ranges.
              I don't like to talk bad about a company but I would not take a lawn mower crank to Falcon.
              APE or Gardner the only places to go
              My stable
              06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph

Comment

For roller bearing cranks, the ONLY places I will send one is to John Pearson in Ohio, Stan Gardner in Maine, or Bob Mosher in Florida. I wouldn't ask Falicon what time of day it is!
                Ray.

Comment

+1 on Pearson...not that i'm partial or anything

Comment

Hi Was reading these older posts and had to reply, Many Years ago honda 750 crank hacksawed the **** out of it smoothed it sanded it back together with gs liners pistons yamaha rods it didnt vibrate bad at all ,That started making me wonder about all this balancing hooplah. I think people read to much ****e on the internet and magazine articles and take it all to heart, so much bull.... out there Mike

Comment

Originally posted by madmikeracing View Post
                      Hi Was reading these older posts and had to reply, Many Years ago honda 750 crank hacksawed the **** out of it smoothed it sanded it back together with gs liners pistons yamaha rods it didnt vibrate bad at all ,That started making me wonder about all this balancing hooplah. I think people read to much ****e on the internet and magazine articles and take it all to heart, so much bull.... out there Mike
                      Maybe true, but some people like to do things right.
                      My Motorcycles:
                      22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                      22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                      82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                      81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                      79 1000e (all original)
                      82 850g (all original)
                      80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

I'm no expert on this matter but vibration in L4 engines has two contributing factors: primary imbalance factors such as physical crank/rod/piston imbalance while spinning (denoted primary balance), and inertia of the rotating mass of all the parts (denoted secondary imbalance). Primary imbalance can be addressed by physically balancing all the rotating parts but to combat secondary imbalance factors a balance shaft is needed. You can spend all kinds of money trying to perfect the primary balance, but there is only so much value that can be added this way. The Japanese typically do a good job in this regard so splitting hairs balancing a crank is pretty much non value added.
                        Last edited by Nessism; 10-23-2015, 11:28 AM.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by spirit View Post
                          I am thinking of a one-time-only opening up of my '85 GS1150 and having the crank balanced and completely welded. I already know that the wear and tear factors are improved, but what I was really wondering was does it make the motor smoother or just move the resonances to another rev area?

DSC00387.jpg
                          balance your stock piston assemblies to the same one-tenth of a gram with a digital scale and put a set of APE tool steel wrist pins into your engine - you'll feel less vibration.

your crank is fine - you can spray 80HP of nitrous to a stock 1150 crank. - spend some money on a set of .348 drop in cams -- that is bang for the buck.

balancing a crank? - only helps at 1 specific RPM - not the whole revving range -it takes complex fixtures to dynamically balance a specific reciprocating weight to a specific RPM...

so you have to have to ask your self,, self? what are we really going to do with this engine?

I have great success with Mr. Pearson crankshafts.
                          SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Inline four, non cross plane cranks are self cancelling. On the plain bearing cranks, we don't use bob weights.
                            Speed Merchant
                            http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Just to add our reciprocating parts were Balanced very close. (Rods piston assblies) Just the crank was hacksawed and smoothed , Not much vibration and this was a engine over 1000 cc started as a 750 and we revved the hell out of it also, It also ran on Alcohol, Mike

Comment

Crankshaft builder here in the UK replaced a main bearing, welded it all up and did a balancing for me. Still not back in the motor so I can't tell you what it's like. On my rideable GS1150, heavy bar end weights stop the fingers going numb - or just go at over 5,000 rpm - that seems to work.

Here is the balancing work:

Here's a bunch more pics: Crank

And this is how he does it:

Last edited by londonboards; 10-26-2015, 05:10 PM.
                                Richard
                                sigpic
                                GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                                GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                                GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                                GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                                Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                                Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Working...
                                X