80 gs750l head gasket leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80 gs750l head gasket leaking

So looks like I'll need to replace my head gasket because it is leaking. Is this something my dad and I could do or is this something that needs to be done by a mechanic? Sucks because the gasket alone will cost me $65. What else should I look for/check/replace while the gasket is being done?
    Last edited by Guest; 08-11-2014, 08:44 PM.

Get a manual, base gasket, ball hone, cam chain tensioner gasket, O-rings for front cam chain head bolts, valve cover gasket and head gasket.
    Possibly rings if they are out of spec.
    It can be done just do it right the first time.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

How bad is is leaking? Just a bit of seepage? I just got done reading two threads which say that it is often the case that re-torquing the head per the factory service manual stops head gasket leaks.
      Charles
      --
      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

BEFORE you go to the trouble of changing the head gasket, try changing the orings on the front, center 2 head nuts. I have found those to be the leak source in MANY 16 valve engines where it appeared the head gasket was leaking. Call me at 714--356-7845 if you have questions or need help. Ray.

Comment

Working...
        X