Oil Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Leak

Hi guys I need advise for my 83 GS 650. After 2 years of having my bike in the garage due to title issues, finally my bike is legal to be on the road. After some days of use I noticed oil started to leak from the sides of the cylinder head. Is not in the front, but the sides. Do you guys recommend to replace the head gasket and the O rings, re-torque?. The leak is not much but I been checking the oil level almost every day to prevent major issue. Also if you guys can provide links or part numbers for the parts so I can purchase the necessary parts. Also I learn to buy original parts the hard way. (I purchased pods from eBay and man I regretted later). Also thanks for the awesome info provided in this forum

If you've already traced the leak to the head gasket then sure, replace the head gasket. You can try re-torquing the head, I've read this often works.

Have you checked valve clearance lately? If not, this would be a great time to do it.

New OEM parts can be ordered from your local Suzuki dealer or a variety of online vendors. Many of us like partsoutlaw.com.
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Is it the head gasket or valve cover gasket ?

Comment

Originally posted by Dougbo View Post
        Is it the head gasket or valve cover gasket ?
        The valve cover gasket is between the valve cover and the top of the head. The head gasket is between the cylinder and the head. Clean the engine off, wipe dry, run it and look.
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Thanks guys, but I'm 100% certain is the head gasket. Also since I'm about to do the damage I will replace the valve cover and plastics on the side of the cover, I believe is where the camshafts go on the outside seem that the plastic is hard and seem to leak a bit of oil. I will try to retorque and if the leak still persist I will replace the head gasket.

Comment

May we see what your Suzi looks like (pics)?

(You show me yours, and I'll show you mine.).
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
            X