No announcement yet.

"1982 GS 550 Cam Timing "No Start"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No,one pin off would not stop it from running. Wait for a someone to chime in regarding 550 pin count.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

What could cause a no start, timing 180* off, low compression, no fuel, spark at the wrong time. Am I missing anything?

I was told by a local bike mechanic to put a few drops of oil directly into the cylinders and see if it would start. I did try it and it still didn't do anymore then pop.

When it pops its sounds like is wants to idle. For a split second it sounds like it is running.

Comment

Isn't the firing order 1 2 4 3 on these?

Doesn't that mean that for cyl 1 the exhaust valve should open next?

I'm really stumped on this one.

I thought maybe my advance was in wrong and I had to time it to 2-3 instead of 1-4 but it can only be installed one way.

What else can I try/check.

Thanks

Comment

I felt like I was making some improvement tonight. It is still in time, and it still does the same thing while trying to start it, it pops every once in a while like its firing one cylinder.

I noticed that everyonce in awhile when I stop turning it over it keeps running for a second but really low rpms probably around 100.

I tried spraying some carb cleaner in the cylinders but it didn't even pop.

should I try gas instead?

Comment

" I thought maybe my advance was in wrong and I had to time it to 2-3 instead of 1-4 but it can only be installed one way."
            yes, but any chance you got ignitor connections wrong, either from signal coils to ignitor ,or from ignitor to ignition coils? It sounds like it's firing out of sequence. The pin count should be in this PDF file form Basscliff's

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I had the bike running with the dyna s before and I never touched it when doing the head. I tried swiping wires as well

Comment

I forgot you have the dyna ignition! I retread this thread and noticed you had weak spark and lower voltage to ignition coils. Try a temporary jumper wire from battery positive to orange/white wires at coils- this will give full battery voltage to coils and dyna.
                1981 gs650L

Comment

Today i checked for spark again. And wouldn't you know I only had spark on cylinder 1 and 4. So it seems like one of the modules failed.

I called dynatek and they want me to send the whole unit back so that they can check it over, then they will send me a new one.

'But what could have caused it to blow in the first place?

Comment

Originally posted by curtie94 View Post
                    Today i checked for spark again. And wouldn't you know I only had spark on cylinder 1 and 4. So it seems like one of the modules failed.

I called dynatek and they want me to send the whole unit back so that they can check it over, then they will send me a new one.

'But what could have caused it to blow in the first place?
                    have you checked each module?
                    have you swapped the feed wires to see if 2-3 will have spark or not?
                    the quickest way to pop a module is by it getting voltage to the wrong wire or to high of voltage(like using a running car to jump the bike).

Comment

No i didn't swap the wires. i had everything hard wires i could try it this weekend but I'm pretty sure its the module. Another thing that I noticed when I took it off the bike is that the 2-3 module was actually cracked, it must have been like that when I got it. I was probably getting an intermittent spark.

Comment

Would I be able to get a points set up for it.

I know it has electronic ignition but until then would points work or is it completely different.

I am pretty sure I could get ahold of a points set up cheap.

Comment

Just let dyna tell you if your unit is bad! Point setup would be no fun to retrofit.
                          1981 gs650L

Comment

joe bob can test his own modules...this soap opera has went on long enough.
                            dyna will tell you how to test them or do as i said and swap the feed wires.
                            points is going backwards..

Comment

Working...
                            X