Whining from front sprocket area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whining from front sprocket area

1978 GS750, new JT front sprocket and "o"ring chain . Chain adjusted properly-- starts to whine after shifting into 3rd and continues up to 5th. Noise is road speed related, not engine speed.Is it possible previous owner ran the chain too tight and ruined the gearbox output bearing? Has anyone else experienced this?
    Suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Jeff

FOUND IT!!!!!!! There are two strengthening webs in the sprocket cover that had obvious wear marks on them. Cut approx 1/8" off both of them - problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Laurence View Post
      FOUND IT!!!!!!! There are two strengthening webs in the sprocket cover that had obvious wear marks on them. Cut approx 1/8" off both of them - problem solved.
      You were missing a spacer or two so you decided that it was a good idea to cut the block????
      Pictures of this "cure" please.

Comment

No, I wasn't missing a spacer, and no I didn't cut the block. The new chain has side plates that are a little taller than the stock chain. I cut two webs on the COVER, and not so much as to damage them.

Comment

Also found that the upper left engine mount bolt was too long--- this is because a 630 O-ring chain is approx. 1/8" wider than a non O-ring chain.

Comment

Working...
          X