Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strange new noise - intermittent buzzing at stator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange new noise - intermittent buzzing at stator?

I've got a video I'll try to load or link...

Anyway, I'm seeking opinions about what this new noise might be.
    It starts shortly after warm up, emminates from the stator area or starter maybe? Goes away for a while, comes back... sounds like rotating metal on metal (duh.)

I know I'll have to open it up - but thought I'd ask suggestions first.

Thank you much for any ideas.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-30-2014, 04:50 PM. Reason: fix the link, man!

link not working

Comment

Link fixed thanks. Definately going to have to open this up before I run it again. Will let the people know.

Comment

I had a bit of a noise in mine but didn't worry too much about and left it for quite some time until I had to replace the stator gasket recently as it was leaking oil. What i found was that there's a metal bracket that screws into the stator cover and keeps the wiring from the stator in place. It's quite large and was just floating around loose, The screw had come out and appeared to be cross threaded. It scored the flywheel and grinded the bracket a bit but i was able to put in back in place and secure it with a new allen head screw. There's also another little bracket in the stator cover that holds the wiring but that was okay. Anyway job all done no more noise and no oil leaks. This of course may not be your problem but good luck with it.

Richard

Comment

Well, I opened it up today after draining the oil - I found no shrapnel, and no loose parts floating or falling. The video does show a slightly loose stator which I tightened down. I'm thinking that was the problem, but I have no oil to refill with so testing will have to wait. (The big question is whether or not I have the nuts to ride this from Southern NH all the way to Brooklyn NYC for the Brooklyn Invitational on the 20th.)

Here, have a video -

Thanks repliers.
          Last edited by Guest; 09-01-2014, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Look inside the rotor, I bet you are polishing those magnets. In generators and motors there is something called air gap. It is the gap that the magnetic flux has to pass through which is air. The smaller r the Gap is the more flux and more current. You definitely donot want that stator floating around. It also looks fried so you want to change it anyway .

Comment

Working...
            X